Author Topic: Snakey stave rough in  (Read 1533 times)

Offline DC

Snakey stave rough in
« on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:24 pm »
Just for future reference. If you are roughing in a snakey stave and are working on the front profile(removing wood from the sides) and you are trying to follow the grain do you lift a small splinter and follow that or do you just use you eyes as much as possible?

Offline Poggins

Re: Snakey stave rough in
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »
I like to get them in the sun and fallow the grain , I've laid the profile of a bow out on a stave and also fallowed the grain as it went in and out of the lines I marked .
I like to go a little wide them use a scraper to my lines , you can see and feel the grain as you go .

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 08:54:18 pm »
Use your eyes and follow the grain lines
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 07:14:04 am »
I follow the grain lines to layout the centerline of the limbs with a pencil. Then divide the limb into equal parts lengthwise, say 3 - 4" sections(smaller if the stave is super snakey), draw a line across the stave at each division perpendicular to the centerline. Then measure off the centerline at each station to gradually step down the width... i.e. layout the width profile/taper. Match those measurement on the other limb. Then I cut it out on the bandsaw.

In order to taper the bow limbs in width, some gradual violation of the grain must happen. Just do your best to make sure it IS gradual.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 02:43:21 pm »
As stated above. I would never raise a splinter on purpose.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 04:33:06 pm »
Thanks guys.