Author Topic: No osage for a year  (Read 10088 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: No osage for a year
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 09:07:11 am »
Try hickory too. It is pretty tough. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 09:14:59 am »
But.... but..... WHY¿

Seriously, I used to make bows out of as many different types of recognized, and a few unrecognized, bow woods as I could get my hands on, and it made me a better bowyer I suppose, but nowadays, even though I have a bundle of bows started with other decent bow woods, I just cant seem to turn my back on the osage and yew long enough to finish them.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline jimmy

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 09:41:37 am »
I made a hackberry bow a couple years ago and love it.  It is some really good stuff as long as you do a deep heat treatment.  It looks real pretty too, especially with some cambium on the back.  If I had to go without osage, it would be my choice of wood, at least because of where I live and that it grows everywhere around here.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 09:49:15 am »
you'll have to change your name to No-sage outlaw

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 10:22:31 am »
Clintster, I have a seasoned pignut hickory for you.  The bark fell off and what's left is a textured back.  Not sure if you saw the pair I had at the Classic but I'll give one to you at Marshall, if you're interested.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 11:19:43 am »
Thanks Howard.  I'll put the date on them.

Badger, I have osage sitting around but I'm determined to leave it alone for the next year.  I'm sure I'll find some other projects besides bows to use some osage.

George and Jimmy, Hickory and Hackberry are on my list.  I have a primo piece of hackberry that I want to steam in some recurves.

Bubbles, very funny. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 11:25:27 am »
Matt, I don't have any pignut hickory so that would be great.  I have some shagbark and I've made a few bows from it in the past.  Is there anything I can trade you for it?

Here is the piece of vine maple that I'll be using.  I've never worked with it before.  Is this piece big enough for two bows?  If it was osage I know there would be two in it.  How wide do I need to make the limbs?

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 11:33:00 am »
       I have always treated vine maple about the same as hickory. I think Gordon might be one of the most experienced with it here.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 11:53:51 am »
Temptation will likely get the best of you.  Bring all that osage to Marshall and I'll do ya a favor ..... get it outta your sight/hands!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2015, 12:08:55 pm »
No trade, Clint.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2015, 12:12:34 pm »
Thanks Matt.  See you in a few weeks.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 12:13:43 pm »
Matt, I don't have any pignut hickory so that would be great.  I have some shagbark and I've made a few bows from it in the past.  Is there anything I can trade you for it?

Here is the piece of vine maple that I'll be using.  I've never worked with it before.  Is this piece big enough for two bows?  If it was osage I know there would be two in it.  How wide do I need to make the limbs?

ONE BOW.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 12:44:03 pm »
I'll hold your Osage in the mean time so you aren't tempted :laugh: that vine maple looks nice interested to see that. I finished my first hunting weight bow from that piece of osage  you sent me. I will post some pics here soon.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 02:26:40 pm »
Sounds like a fun, self-inflicted challenge.  :) Cant wait to see the nice white bows you turn out. Do you still have some yew? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2015, 03:07:45 pm »
I'm pumped to see some of your wite wood work Clint.