Author Topic: First joint?  (Read 3778 times)

Offline DC

First joint?
« on: April 23, 2015, 01:22:38 am »
Now that I've got your attention ;) I just bought a copy of "Shooting the Stickbow". When he talks about the grip he says have the string in the first joint. Is that first from the end of you finger or first from your hand?

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: First joint?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:32:17 am »
In a way you need to ask the author.............but if you're talking about taking the string, I've always had the string at the joint nearest the finger tip.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:55:17 am »
...but a deep hook can give you a cleaner release. A deep hook puts the string between the two joints of the fingers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 12:27:26 pm »
Deep hook was the thing that transformed my shooting. I still have a LONG way to go but I have improved greatly since focusing on a consistent deep hook every time. So I vote joint closest to hand.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:54 pm »
In a way you need to ask the author...........

Duhh, why didn't I think of that. In this internet age that is possible. E-mailed him this morning :D :D

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »
I got an answer. He meant the distal or closest to the fingertip.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 03:38:01 pm »
...but a deep hook can give you a cleaner release. A deep hook puts the string between the two joints of the fingers.

For me that's counter intuitive. It would seem like the string has to roll over more finger to get loose. Do we have an explanation?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 04:12:33 pm »
No explanation but it does make a difference. Give it a try.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 05:45:41 pm »
Dc, supposdly a deep hook relaxs the back of your hand, the further you go towards the tips put more tension  or strain in your hand. If you ever shot a release you can seem to pull more because you are pulling with your wrist , kinda the same feeling with the deep hook, hand feels stronger and relaxed so you are supposed to get a cleaner release. I have tried both and now kinda favor the first joint close to the tip. Bob

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 10:22:49 pm »
  It dos'nt matter how deep you use. Do whats comes natural. It matters more on how you release.

If you release with your third finger down it dos'nt matter. You can't stop your other 2 finger from following just like that third finger down. You'll get a crisp,clean ,same release everytime. With no string stwist.

THIS IS HOW HOWARD HILL RELEASED.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING