Author Topic: horse hoof for tip overlays?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

horse hoof for tip overlays?
« on: May 03, 2015, 03:19:46 pm »
Anyone ever use it? 

I have some LARGE pieces coming from a miniature horse rescue.  This poor horse had been badly abused and it's hooves were criminally overgrown.  They are sending me the cut off sections and I wanted to make tip overlays on a bow that I will raffle off or auction off to raise money for them.  I get the feeling I may be able to do some knife scales out of the deal, too.  But then I would need to make a knife. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

Re: horse hoof for tip overlays?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »
Wow, that is overgrown if you're making knife handles and tip overlays out of them.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 03:40:28 pm »
Im not sure if it would work.It may be too brittle.The extreme outer hoof wall is the only part that i would think would be hard enough and it is pretty thin.When i have examined hoof trimmings,after the trim and after is has dried,it tends to get pretty brittle .I dont know if i would trust it,for a tip overlay.

Chances are,based on your description,the horse experienced a case of laminitis or even full blown founder and in that case,the hoof walls integrity was compromised  as well.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 03:50:48 pm »
Wow, that is overgrown if you're making knife handles and tip overlays out of them.

It was criminal cruelty, but good luck trying to get a state or county prosecutor to press charges in this state. Frankly, I am surprised that the court even awarded custody/ownership to the rescue. Recently, another rescue was blocked from feeding 18 head of horses starving to death (and 4 more were already dead on the ground), they were even threatened with criminal trespass charges if they so much as attempted. 

I am sure the horse had laminitis and foundered badly to boot.  I guess I will have to see what the material looks like when it gets here.  Either way, I will do what I can to raise a little cash for this group. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 03:59:38 pm »
The state should be charged with criminal negligence and assistance in committing a crime for allowing it to continue and for stopping relief.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 04:00:49 pm »
Good luck to you. Your a good man Charlie Brown.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 05:35:59 pm »
I've used pet store chew hooves. They looked great. As far a lasting, I've only shot a couple hundred shots. They polish up great. I posted a pic in the Handles/Tips thread.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:40:40 pm »
Those are likely beef hooves. 

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »
Yeah, I figured a hoof was a hoof. I have rarely, if ever, seen tip made of hoof. But I haven't seen everything ;) ;). I was told that some of the chew hooves are goat.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:08:37 pm by DC »

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 06:39:25 pm »
John I've used moose hoof same thing, smeels some when u work it but it buffs out excellent
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:10:41 pm »
Smells some? That's the biggest understatement of the week ;D ;D I have to have a shower after I run the belt sander over it. :o

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 10:28:31 pm »
I have used cow and pig. it smells when you sand it but I like using it, looks good!

Mark

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:59:37 pm »

These are pig.

Offline bubby

failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 10:17:20 pm »
JW , I grew up around horses , I've seen some pretty good sized peaces cut off when the hooves were trimmed on some if them , usually from a pasture with softer soils and no rocks to wear them down , I've seen my dad bear down on the nippers pretty hard to trim them and some of the peaces would have been big enough for tip overlays .
I was given some bighorn sheep horn by a guy from Montana ( one of Mark's buddies ) , he told me to soak it in super glue when I use them , maybe treat the hoof the same way .