Author Topic: MOLLY WORKING LIMB  (Read 1570 times)

Offline OTDEAN

MOLLY WORKING LIMB
« on: May 04, 2015, 11:27:28 am »
Hi

I am just about to tiller the working limbs of a molly.  The bow is 72" NtN. The working limbs are 22" long. levers are quite long at 10".  Will I get away with a 28" draw with 2" wide working limbs?  I am guessing my draw length will be 22" tops but wondered if the levers would allow for more draw length.  I know the 22" working limbs are under more pressure than normal and therefore have gone for a circular tiller to get as much working wood to bend as I can.

The wood is sycamore and I am aiming for about 40 pounds at the draw length I finish on, just wondered if I should stretch it beyond the length of the working limbs?

Offline half eye

Re: MOLLY WORKING LIMB
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:42:43 am »
OTDean,  There is no reason in the world that a 72" Mollegabet cant draw 28"....you may be looking at it a bit off. You have 44" of working limbs and 20" of levers.....so that leaves your grip area quite large at 8". Also 40# of draw weight should not overstress 2" wide limbs in ANY design.

I posted a little Molly (Polk Salad Annie) a while back Elm self bow with 1-3/4" wide limbs that was 60 pounds at 22"....I think she was in the 50 something inch length, cant really remember.

Got to believe that you are well within the working limits of your wood and design.
rich

looked her up and that Mollegabet was 51" ntn
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 12:32:57 pm by half eye »

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 12:59:09 pm »
You're fine as fine can be! Mollegabets' levers lend themselves to longer s=draws as they keep string angle down. I don't hesitate to cut my personal bows two inches shorter than double my draw.

Two inches is pretty beefy mate. Locust frets easily and 13/4 - 7/8 has always been enough for me at 45-55#@26"
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 05:26:55 pm »
I have no idea of what sycamore can take, but the now design sounds like you should easily get a 30" or longer draw out of it. A friend of mine has a hickory molle I built him that has 13" levers and 15" working limbs that are 1 1/4" at there widest narrowing to 1" at the lever fades. I need to measure to be sure but these are the numbers I remember. And he regularly draws it past the 27" I intended for it. It has a couple inches of set but has held up for a couple years and is very fast and quiet.

Kyle

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 02:38:50 am »
Hi Dean  :) Still making eh!
Circular tiller for pyramid limbs, elliptical for parallel width limbs. Thickness taper determines tiller shape. This rule never changes.
If your limbs are a constant 2 inches wide then it should be elliptical.
This is key.
Sycamore isn't all that in compression so make sure you heat treat it and trap the back.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:34:59 pm »
If you aint breaking you aint making mike!  ;)