Author Topic: Quiver made from sleeves of old leather jacket  (Read 17006 times)

Offline marcelslot

Quiver made from sleeves of old leather jacket
« on: May 02, 2015, 05:16:52 pm »
Hi all,

Last week I got the crazy idea of making a back quiver from the 2 sleeves of an old leather jacket. I bought the jacket for 5 dollar at a garage sale. Pulled one of the sleeves inside out and inserted in in the other sleeve. Used some plastic sheet material to put inbetween the two leather layers, which gave the quiver some added stiffnes. An old belt and stitching... and here it is. It came out really nice I think, and ... it server its purpose.
Really fast, took about 2 hours to make.
Let me know what you guys think.

Be well,
Marcel

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Quiver made from sleeves of old leather jacket
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:00:50 pm »
An idea so simple that it is genius!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 08:47:54 pm »
Yea good idea, very well executed also

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 05:21:19 am »
Well done ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:12 pm »
Now that is what I would call using the ole noggin for something besides holdin the ears apart. I love the quiver, I have an old leather bikers jacket that is too small for me that would work great for that DIY project. could you post more pictures of how it all goes together from the strap attachments to what is in the bottom and how did you install it? I have been wanting to make a quiver for around a year now and you just showed me what I have been looking for in lines of a quiver. Thanks for sharing.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:02:05 pm »
Most excellent. 8)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:12:00 am »
Killer, I really like that one!

Here's one I made from a Goodwill coat sleeve and other jacket parts a few years ago.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31:12 pm »
That's a pretty great idea. Well done!

Offline marcelslot

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 05:18:58 pm »
Bowmo: now that's a real fine piece of work! I absolutely love the quiver. it's a damn pretty bow to you tot attached to it too ... Any details on the bow? And how is it attached to the quiver? Simple straps?
Good to read I'm not the first crazy cool trying to use sleeves of a jacket for making a quiver...  ;D

Offline marcelslot

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 05:39:52 pm »
Bronco611: thanks for the compliment. I'll post some detail pictures over the weekend. The job was pretty straightforward though. Using two sleeves with one pulled inside out is something I can recommend. Also, using plastic sheet in between the two leather sleeves worked out really well. It shapes the quiver and adds stiffness. I used old relativeer thin place mats with a size of around the quiver length. You can cut a piece and 'roll' it inside. The rolled plastic sheet then has a natural tendency to 'un-curl' inside the first sleeve. It shapes the sleeve. After that, the second sleeve can be inserted which basically acts as a nice inner lining and fully covers the sheet. I also used a small semi round piece of the same plastic sheet as the bottom of the quiver. Fixed it with a few stitches. Artificial sinew was used for all stitching. The bottom was again covered with a round piece of leather.
I used some glue to hold pieces together before I stitched things up. The strap was attached to simple buckles/square 'rings' taken from an old bag. These were attached to two L eather bands that have been pulled to a snug fit around the quiver. I can flip these bands with buckles around to the other side of the quiver to use it either as a back quiver for a right handed or left handed shooter.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 06:35:18 pm »
Thanks man.

The bow I made like 10 years ago when I was like 18 or 19 and made crazier short bows. It's a set backed handle static recurved osage self bow. (man that felt hard to type) 51" ntn and pulls 62# 24" made from the first osage tree I ever cut, a small tree and stubbornly cut with a hand saw. haha

The quiver has little flaps  with holes in them that I used a small stick on the top one and a piece of rawhide on the bottom, they tread through the holes and hold it in place. It was sticks on both top and bottom but I lost the one little stick one day and just rolled with it. You could just as easily sew on longer pieces of leather in the same spots that you just tied around the bow.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 12:14:26 am »

Very nice, I love going to good will, and other charity stores, to get leather purses, and belts, for BP hunting accoutrements, and such.  Leather boots, for knife sheaths, etc.  You did a great job.  Nice job on yours also Bomo. ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:41 am »
I have been making black leather grips for bows for quite some time...all from one brand new new Harley Davidson brand vest I picked up for $8 at a thrift store!  Next time, I look for.something with sleeves!

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 11:52:56 am »
Well then, looks like I'll never take any more of my Harley Davidson black vests to thrift stores again  >:(

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
Hardly Ableson