Author Topic: fiddler's fletch serving tool  (Read 4762 times)

Offline fiddler49

fiddler's fletch serving tool
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:06:59 am »
I like using thread to fletch but it can be a bit tedious so
I just built this fletch serving tool out of some scrap oak to speed up the the process. It moves along the arrow with a razor blade set at the thread angle you like. The half inch oak dowel feather splitter has a long scarf with the flat side to the left of pic. and can be pivoted up and down and left and right for adjustment. I hold the thread in my left hand and pull against the flat side of splitter while turning arrow with right hand.
The tool will space thread perfectly and wrap as fast as you can turn arrow!!! The arrow is placed in the shallow V groove of the 3/4" x 2" x 14" beam spanning the deer antlers. The fletch server sits on top of arrow with a weight [ wood mallet ] hanging from bottom of beam guide. I used an exacto razor blade set into a slot on half inch oak dowel that goes threw top of serving tool and sits on the arrow shaft. By twisting the knob on top of dowel the angle of blade can be changed. A tapered 3/8" dowel
locks down the angle you set. Same for the feather splitter. The arm of the feather splitter pivots with two 1/4" x 20 bolts and wing nuts for quick adjustment.
The razor blade leaves a slight spiral line on the wood shaft that can be sanded right off if you like. I've done several dozen arrows with this tool and they all come out better than you can do by hand splitting and very fast!!! Who knows, maybe the ye old English fletchers had a tool like this.  I'll post pics tomorrow  cheers fiddler49

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: fiddler's fletch serving tool
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:10:01 am »
That is slicker than snot on a wet doorknob!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 12:16:28 am »
Thanks JW, Here's some pics of the tool in use. The arrow rotates between the bottom beam and tool. There is a shallow V groove on both beam and tool that acts as a bearing and guide for the arrow shaft. As you rotate the arrow the tool moves to the right because of the razor angle.  cheers fiddler49

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:24:56 am »
That is really cool!  I love gadgets like that.

Online chamookman

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:31:32 am »
SWEET ! Thanks for posting. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:49:29 am »
I don't know what to say! Wow? Yea. Wow covers it.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »
Now that is just KOOL!
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 02:46:49 pm »
You are a genius! Thanks for posting

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 11:10:48 pm »
i wanna see a video then I'll comment....
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 05:13:11 pm »
Wills, the blade hardly cuts the wood and there is little resistance to turn arrow shaft, much less than I thought there would be. I was going to make a small crank wheel to slide on to the nock if there was too much resistance but it is not needed. I originally tried a hack saw blade as a splitter and ran the thread through a slot and hole at the end but the 1/2 inch oak dowel splitter works better. The thread must be kept up against the flat face of the oak splitter and at the same angle as what the individual feather barbs are
to keep from folding over a barbule. The razor has a single bevel and I re sharpen after a few dozen arrows. It will also track on a painted shaft or carbon arrows . The distance between the splitter and the tool will determine how long a feather you can fletch. Right now I have 6 1/4 inches max but I could make another pivot arm that is longer. I tried to make a thread guide with brass rod but then you need more weight on the tool to keep it tracking correctly and the arrow resistance goes up. It's easier to hold the thread in the left hand. As to another way to make the tool track besides a razor blade? Maybe a small rubber wheel at the end of the dowel. The tool can handle 5/16 " up to 1/2" arrow shafts. cheers fiddler49

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 09:13:33 pm »
Very nice work........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline neuse

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 07:36:39 am »
That is amazing.
Could you do a build along for us not so genuis people?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 10:53:30 am »
Wooden engineering at it's best :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 12:29:48 pm »
Clever. Good thinking.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 03:25:48 am »
Thanks lads, I'm already working on version 2.0, It uses a small rubber wheel for tracking instead of razor blade. It will also do longer feathers, 7.5" and the beam is now about 36" long with an adjustable arrow stop. The tool
is also longer, 8.5" for less horizontal movement of splitter arm and I've added a hold down cord just behind the arrow nock. I'll do some finishing touches and post pics.  cheers fiddler49