Author Topic: Pine Tar VS Pine Rosin production questions  (Read 3081 times)

Limbit

Pine Tar VS Pine Rosin production questions
« on: June 08, 2015, 01:13:55 am »
I am needing some professional know-how about pine tar. I've been researching it quite a bit and can't seem to get a clear answer as to what constituents make it tar. Obviously rosin and tar are not the same due to the anoxic conditions tar goes through during processing, but my question is whether tar can be made out of resin. I've obtained a VERY large amount of clean resin from a species of pine that is mostly turpentine free (Taiwanese variety). I can't seem to figure out if the desired ingredient in tar is the resin put under high heat, pressure and anoxic conditions or if it is the combination of the resin with other organic ingredients put under those conditions to produce the desired tar. From what I've been reading, the highest grade tar is high in resin content preferably from the trees roots. So, is the combination of the coal created during the process mixed with the rosin produced what you are after? I'll be adding linseed oil and turpentine to it when finished. In case you are wondering the application: it is for wooden tables in a highly damp and hot environment. Any knowledgeable help would be greatly appreciated!