Author Topic: Penobscot replica "Thank you" and "Review"  (Read 3628 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Penobscot replica "Thank you" and "Review"
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:03 pm »
     Folks first off a big thank you to Rich "half eye" for sending me this Penobscot replica...We talked a lot about the performance over the phone and wanted to report back to everyone...

First thing I noticed was the way it felt so different with very high early draw weight and seemed to climb gently at full draw with zero stack at 25" :o  This along with the ultra small string nocks and outer assisting limb design made for very fast shooter...The bow around 50# seemed to shoot like a 60+ bow in speed.
     The rawhide strings had to be constantly adjusted until they finally settled/stretched to an acceptable stability...Any sinew, gut or rawhide will have to be shot in and adjusted to a correct brace height because of stretch and twist settling. This is one of the things that would have to be constantly monitored by the NA...Humidity, temperature and wear would become factors...So you will see in the pics that the upper limb is wrapped and tied every time it is strung instead of using a loop...Rawhide is also by far the quietest string I have shot, seems to have it's own dampening qualities...
      Hand shock is a minimum and a joy to shoot...
            I have enjoyed this journey with Rich and have learned a lot from him...He is a true inspiration to many of us here...And has been a motivator and mentor to me over the years...
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Thank you Rich,  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Penobscot replica "Thank you" and "Review"
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:55 pm »
Few more...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:56 pm »
Dang Don,
     Without a doubt you have to be the PA Expert on shooting and adjusting up Penobscott bows. You have done more shooting and adjusting than I have for sure. I'm really glad it's shooting so well for you.....now that ya got them rawhide strings all settled in. I'm real glad that it suits you sir.
rich

Offline JonW

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 08:42:17 pm »
 8) 8) 8)

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:45:49 pm »
Your a lucky man Don. I bet it shoots as sweet as it looks.
Steve Bennett

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:58:33 pm »
Thats one cool replica bow. Nice work on a tough project Rich and Don, that bow finished out nice.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:14 pm »
  Thanks guy's, here's the original link to Rich's Penobscot builds that he called a puzzle just in case someone missed it...                                                                                                                            Well, it looks like he figured it all out... ;)  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55406.0.html
                                                                                                                 Don

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »
I love stuff like this. Fantastic work especially going the extra mile using real rawhide for the string. Bravo!
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:57 am »
That's crazy cool! Gotta love these bows! Nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:09:39 pm »
thank you for posting great work, very beautiful,, it would be great to know how the bow is shooting a 500 grain arrow,, thanks again, B

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 03:39:11 pm »
You guys are bringing history to life and its things like this that make this site so much more than your average forum. Fantastic work!  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 10:05:56 pm »
      Thanks guy's I'm sure Rich is proud of his accomplishment...Siedy, I like what ya said man and your right sir...Rich started with some pictures and took this thing to a level of realism and produced an all natural bow that shoots with authority...I don't have a chrony but I am basing what I see and feel from watching arrows launch for 30+ yrs...
       It's a real trick to string this bow...I have to use my knee carefully leaning into the handle while wrapping and tying...Gett'n pretty quick though since I've gotten used to it ;)
                                                                                                                            Don

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:30:38 pm »
That is a beautiful bow! Very authentic looking replica to my eyes. I really need to build one of these. I've wanted one since the first time I ever saw one. I'm always the guy that picks out the unique or one of a kind items. And these are very unique! Thanks for sharing!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:19 am »
Nice work Rich and Don, would like to have you here with me. I'm collecting materials for my attempt ....
Simon
Bavaria, Germany