Author Topic: Tree ID help, please  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
Tree ID help, please
« on: May 03, 2015, 02:51:02 pm »
Please help me ID this tree. I am not very good at it.

Pieces of the branch.

The trunk (I didn't cut down the whole tree, just one branch).

Note the berries.

The tree had grown a large branch that was overhanging our back yard, choking out plants, and hanging low enough to impede the lawnmower. My wife said that branch had to go.

Based on tree ID sites and Google image searches, I'm guessing that it is Sugarberry? I split up the longest, straightest section of the branch into 4 staves, and sealed the ends with polyurethane. Hopefully it's something I can use.

I am just south of Houston, Texas. This tree is growing about 30 feet from a slough (drainage ditch).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 02:57:55 pm by Ardent »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
Re: Tree ID help, please
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 03:03:31 pm »
You're ID is correct!

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 05:12:12 pm »
That sure looks like a Hackberry to me.{edit} Just looked up Sugarberry, another name for Hackberry, good bow wood.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:21:40 pm by tallpine »

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »
I apologize in advance if this is rude and I'm not trying to hijack by any means, but this is what hackberry looks like here. Different species?
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »
Ardent, what you have is sugarberry, sometimes called southern hackberry, but they are different species. The tree posted by make-n-break is a true hackberry.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:27:31 pm »
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I have 4 staves (not counting a 1-1/4" diameter limb I also grabbed), not ideally straight, most have knots, but better than nothing. I peeled the bark off (which was insanely easy - like peeling a banana) and sealed the ends and backs with polyurethane (it's what I had on hand). I spiral-bound the straightest stave to a 2x4 with rope, which kind of straightened it out a little. Hopefully they won't twist as they dry. I have never made a bow from a stave before, so I might just skip these and go cut something straighter.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:32:53 pm by Ardent »

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 09:27:47 pm »
Yes, there are two species found in my area. The species laevigata is the one most commonly called sugarberry or netleaf hackberry It is also the most common species found in the Houston area.  There is also occidentalis, which is common hackberry. It grows sporadically in my area, but tends to be found a little north of me, and  quite a bit north of Houston. Around the Texas hill country, there is linderheimeri, which is Linderheimer’s. Linderheimer’s is the only one that I am not aware of a subspecies.  All are of the genus Celtis.   Curtis
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:52:36 pm by tipi stuff »

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:16 am »
So the first pictures are not true hackberry? I have that exact stuff near my house I was going to try out here soon.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 08:31:04 am »
It's still a true Hackberry.

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »
There's nothing like locally sourced bow wood. I'm sure that when you get round to it you will have a great adventure with those staves!  :)
The bark on that Hackberry posted by make n break is insane!   :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb