Author Topic: Weight change  (Read 2327 times)

Offline DC

Weight change
« on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »
I want to make a light bow, about 30#, for working on my form. If I make a, say, 72" 30# bow can I pike it later to bring up the weight without any problems?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Weight change
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 03:15:08 pm »
Id make another bow then. A 30# 72" bow will be a total dog.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 04:46:54 pm »
  A bow designed to be 30 pounds and 72" with proportional arrows  should not be a dog but the design should preclude it from piking it to gain weight.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 02:35:55 am »

Why???

All you need to do to make a long bow work correctly and shoot great is to use an elliptical tiller with a longer than 'normal' handle area or just keep the inner limbs nice and stiff.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:43:30 am »
You could probably pike it later and gain weight, but you won't be gaining much. Maybe 5 pounds or so. Piking it too much might mean that you need to re-tiller the bow, as Mike indicates.
If you want to increase the draw weight by more than 5 pounds, you'd better build a new bow.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:54:57 am »
Yeah, I have no problem taking weight off a bow... it's hell's own job to gain a significant amount.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 08:27:52 am »
What type of wood are you thinking about using?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 11:47:59 am »
Ocean Spray and I don't mind re-tillering. I will probably make a light bow. I can see a need for one occasionally and if nothing else I can give it to someone.I was just scraping away at a lonnnng stick and the thought crossed my mind.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 11:52:31 am »
Ocean spray sure is heavy dense wood. I'll stick with my original hunch.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 12:04:41 pm »
It'll be a dog because the limbs would be too heavy?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 03:50:29 pm »
Depends who you ask.

Offline DaveMac

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »
I've never piked a bow, but have been thinking about it. I understand that shortening the bow will increase the draw weight because the wood has to bend further, but I can't logically understand how less wood can be expected to do more work. If you took the idea to its n'th degree you would end up underbuilt. Surely when designing a bow you must consider width and depth as well as length. So is piking a legitimate fix or last resort to most bowyers?

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 05:46:56 pm »
Seems like it will just be fishing pole skinny and thus no heavier in mass per draw weight than a proportionally heavier bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 06:38:56 pm »
if you make the handle section longer and whip tiller you can make it shoot good,,
yes you can pike and and get more weight ,,, :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 02:55:08 am »
Davemac - it's about leverage. The shorter a bow become the less advantage you gain when pulling the string. So if you just lopped a foot off a bow it would be harder to pull.
The rule of thumb for piking is that 1% of bow length will give you about 5% weight increase.
Pearl no matter the wood species you can make a loooongbow a sweet shooter - make the limbs narrow and use an elliptical tiller, the center of the bow staying stiffer than if it was say a 60#'er. Ask your mate bad Chris...he'll tell ya the same as I am here.