Author Topic: Thin ringed, knotty osage bow  (Read 8206 times)

Offline jimmy

Thin ringed, knotty osage bow
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:58:42 pm »
The specs on this are 60" ttt, 53# @ 27", 1 1/14" wide limbs, last 8" tapering to 1/4" wide "modified" pin knocks.  It is straight when unstrung.  I did not wrap the handle for now, so as to show the pretty grain and color of the wood.  The growth ring on the back is about 1/64" thick.  The bow was made from a really thin ringed reddish osage stave.  It has 13 pin knots and 3 larger branch type knots.  The pin knots are actually clusters of 2 or 3.  The grain and color in this wood is exceptional.  I did not know if I could or should make such a thin ringed bow, but here it is.  It is holding up just fine and shoots great.  My nerves, however, are pretty much shot after chasing that ring, especially with all the knots ( torture ).  This bow was a lesson in patience for me.  Thanks for looking.  I'll post more pics.

Offline jimmy

Re: Thin ringed, knotty osage bow
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 12:00:21 am »
More pics.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:02:16 am »
A few more pics.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:28:41 am »
Good looking stick.  And nice bends.  Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:31:11 am »
Man Jimmy that looks great. It just goes to show you what taking your time can do. Bravo on a tough one. I guess since you cant make the classic we'll have to figure out how to hook up and get me that bow so I can take it with me and show it off for you. Excellent job once again.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 08:13:51 am »
That is a very beautiful bow.  Great color, great bend.  Will executed all the way around

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:15:51 am »
That unbraced side profile speaks volumes

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 09:08:49 am »
Nicely done, Falcon.  Nicely done.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:14:07 am »
 Simple and very sweet!  Everything looks great, well done!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:17:25 am »
Nicely done, Falcon.  Nicely done.

I can't take credit for that, I would like to though.... ;)

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:36 am »
 Gorgeous piece of sage Jimmy... 8)  I think you done it justice...Love the character and the simple design...I love the straight profile...Did you use any heat in your build?
                                                                                                                                       Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:18:47 am »
Man that is a great looking bow! Thanks for sharing  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline jimmy

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 09:49:02 am »
Thanks alot everyone.  I did use heat to correct the limbs because the string was laying off to the right hand side of the handle.  I didn't want to try and induce any reflex because the growth ring is so freakin' thin, and I didn't want any more stress than neccessary.  I'm terrible at taking pictures and they really don't do the wood justice.  This bow is simple and was really all about the wood (the color, the grain, the knots, the rings).  Unfortunately, it's hard to capture that in a few pics.  That reddish/amber osage is so pretty in person, so different from the usual yellow stuff.  At least I know now what is possible with thin growth rings, but I'm not kidding myself, I won't be abusing or overstressing this bow.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 09:53:30 am »
Heck yeah.  That's the business. 8)
1’—>1’

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 09:57:44 am »
Wow that's a beauty Jimmy. I don't think I could bring myself to put anything on that handle either, to pretty! Well done sir.