Author Topic: sinew "bandaids"  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Re: sinew "bandaids"
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »
I saw Gordon do a rawhide patch over a crack from a knot in the side of a hazelnut bow in his one build along. Granted, it was in the handle. But I certainly wouldn't deem it an inferior or compromised piece of wood.

That being said, I wouldn't let a bow with a defect go out to someone else, but I wouldn't just pitch it.

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 02:25:41 pm »
  When you have a knot go through the limb sideways it is always kind of a pain. I leave them stiff in those spots. If you try to bend them like the rest of the limb the wood can't find the nuetral plane. As soon as it hits the knot it just chrysals. If I was going to patch it I would stiffen it at the same time or possible cup out the entire knot and inlay something more flexable. It does look like a sideways knot where he chrysaled.   If the bow is not hinging in that spot I would give it about 100 full draws and if it still looked ok I would ignore it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 02:34:27 pm »
I saw Gordon do a rawhide patch over a crack from a knot in the side of a hazelnut bow in his one build along. Granted, it was in the handle. But I certainly wouldn't deem it an inferior or compromised piece of wood.

That being said, I wouldn't let a bow with a defect go out to someone else, but I wouldn't just pitch it.
Gordon no longer does that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »
That's cool, but why did Gordon do that only a few years ago after several hundred bows? Rookie......
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 02:38:39 pm »
  Classic case of what I'm talking about. He had a guru tell him it was a good idea. ;)

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:44 pm »
Huh, I apparently don't know everything about everything like the rest of you. I should've expected my level of pretentiousness wasn't up to snuff for this thread. Lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 02:44:29 pm »
Im on your side CF, don't be getting all mad at me. What is misunderstood here is "we" aren't encouraging folks to make junk because there are 200 ways to fix junk. "We" are encouraging them to continue on and not quit because of an obstacle on less than perfect wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »
Lol, I'm just joking around. All I'm saying is that, if it's good enough for Gordon, and that's what turned out. It's good enough for me. :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »
   Remember that Gordon made that bow 8 years ago and it was the first short hazel bow he made.

Offline bubby

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 02:56:45 pm »
I think part of the reason we see more of these quick fix solutions is because there are a ton more guys building bows most just starting
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »
As a pure noob who lives in a wood desert and doesn't have the spare cash laying around to overpay for ebay staves nor anything if intrinsic value to trade i am in possession of one. .. yes one piece of real genuine bow wood. . A hickory stave given to me by parnell and 3/4 complete (waiting to return to his house for me to finish)... i have made every mistake a budging bowyer can make. .. and learning about patching mistakes hasn't made me sloppier... if anything is made me better at doing this. .. I've broken what could have been a really nice bow because i thought it was ready to be pulled before IT thought it was ready...

But due to those screw ups and new knowledge on how to repair them has me more careful. ..

Hell. . I wish i had the room to work. . The fancy tools. . And the access to wood most of you guys have. ..

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bubby

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 04:40:53 pm »
Hey paco hang tough it will happen, at least you have someone to help ya out, I've been building a long time and never worked with another builder
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 05:20:19 pm »
I just read through this thread and was startled to find myself agreeing with PatM. That sort of threw me for a loop for a bit, but then he started off on the tangent that fixes create carelessness.   ???  Alas, my equilibrium was restored!  I can't agree with that.  Just having a little fun Pat. >:D.  As to the original question, as great as sinew is, it does have its limitations.  Simply wrapping the sinew around the chrysaled section won't help.  A chrysal is a compression failure and has been mentioned many times already, sinew has no compression value.  In fact it has no tension value when simply wrapped around the limb.  The fibers are running the wrong direction in that application.  Josh

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 06:06:16 pm »
So a better fix would be a ~6" course of sinew on the back of the bow. .. 3" on either side of the crack then wrapped at each end to keep from lifting?

It would shift the stress from the belly forward into the back. ..

Just an idea
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 07:14:23 pm »
you could always cut off the offending limb,, and splice a new one on,, or make a takedown,,bow making is supposed to be fun,,
creative solutions are part of the process,, no wood is perfect and usually requires some resolution of one issue or the other,,I hate to give up on a piece of wood I have invested hours in,(especially if I dont have more wood), I have learned to resolve problems  by pushing the limit on trying to "fix" something,, some fail some success,,,but as long as I learn( even if I learn that wont work) I progress as a bow maker and am able to contribute in a positive way in many instances,, when  I started and someone said that wont work,, I usually wanted to see for myself,, I think we see alot of that in the new guys,, and thats ok,,different people have different reasons for making bows,, some are professional and some are just for fun,, two different view points for sure,,,,some just enjoy the process win or loose,,success comes in just trying,,,,,if I can help in any way that is great for me,, I try to give suggestions that have worked for me in the past and hope for the best,, :)