Author Topic: sinew "bandaids"  (Read 9160 times)

Offline jayman448

Re: sinew "bandaids"
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 11:37:03 am »
Im genuinely interested as to what those careless mistakes are that you see so much of. And please bear in mind fellas this is just bowmaking questions. Lets keep it polite brothers

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 11:44:10 am »
I'm as careless as they come, but damn good at it! :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 12:02:32 pm »
most of the mistakes I see are from guys just learning or with less experience,,,, and the bows I see now seem consistently well made and some amazing,, if you want to throw your bow away because it got a chrysal then that would be your bow and your decision of course,, patching something severe is questionable for sure( if not impossible),,  fretting a bow to the point of failure is something that usually happens when first learning,, or when experimenting with pushing the design to the limit,,  not a normal occurrence with an experienced bow maker,, I will stand by my statement that a minor fret is not the death of a bow,,this I know from experience, I have put rawhide on the belly of a bow,, and it did not increase draw weight,, but did hide the rasp marks as intended,, I feel like the quality of bow making has increased since I started 20 years ago,, dont get me wrong, there were  great bows and bow makers back then,, I  think with the sharing of knowledge , there are more great bows and bow makers now :)

Offline Parnell

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »
I'm as careless as they come, but damn good at it! :)

Chris, I'm the genuine beatnick of bow wood.  I'm thinking of changing my handle to "slipshod", or perhaps "slapdash".  I feel it would really serve my personal style...'cause ya know, I'z gots ta represent. ::)
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Its true man. Im a bit haphazard, but somehow my experience pulls me through in the end. I can barely explain how I do things because its rare I do them the same twice. You know, typical junk we see nowadays from new guys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2015, 01:20:11 pm »
The problem with all these supposed fixes is that they seem to have bred a generation of careless bowyers. We're seeing a lot of bows now with all sorts of careless mistakes because the maker has been led to believe that there are cures for everything.

"A generation of careless bowyers"? ???   Is that really what you think?
Sure. Not everyone obviously but we definitely see tons of patch jobs where guys have gouged too deeply or worked  defects carelessly with the knowledge that so and so has said it can be repaired.
 Now we also have heat treating being used to "repair" hinges and weak spots.
 Super glue is also used as a cure all.

blackhawk

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2015, 01:32:47 pm »
Since everyone is throwing caution to the wind I might as well throw my two cents in... ::)

If a bow needs ANY kind of "bandaid" I deem it an inferior piece of wood and chuck it in the burn pile and cook hot dogs,hobo pies,n smores for me and the fam    >:D    N i ain't joking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:40 pm »
What about pizza in a Dutch oven? Will that work to Bad Chris? :)

Offline DC

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2015, 01:37:40 pm »
Once you get a decent stash of staves it's a lot easier to turf one. When you're first starting and waiting impatiently for them to dry it's a whole different story. You just don't want to let go :( :(

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »
What about pizza in a Dutch oven? Will that work to Bad Chris? :)
^  hell yeah....ya know us Hollanders have a saying that goes " ya ain't much if ya ain't dutch"  :laugh:

Yeah...I'd rather use it to put tasty things in my belly than getting a whack on my head  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2015, 01:53:03 pm »
Once you get a decent stash of staves it's a lot easier to turf one. When you're first starting and waiting impatiently for them to dry it's a whole different story. You just don't want to let go :( :(

BINGO

Offline PatM

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2015, 02:00:30 pm »
Wood selection is my other pet peeve when it comes to creating problems that need fixing.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2015, 02:06:06 pm »
I still think it is mostly inexperience that looks careless,,most of the guys with experience pretty much agree on most things ,, a few fine points are open to interpretation as always,,, :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2015, 02:10:37 pm »
Even a bandaid solution teaches you something although it's best not to go there in the first place
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2015, 02:11:44 pm »
When my fire was first lit I didn't have the patience to go looking, I used whatever I had near me. Even knowing it wasn't good stuff I carried on because I couldn't help myself. The urge to at least TRY this hobby had a stronghold on me. There was no way I was going to sit around for a week or two until I could find better lumber. Im glad I took the route I did and learned what I did. I am who I a today because of it. Its easy for me now to say not to use something and wait because Ive built so many and because I have a premium stash. Before that? Good luck stopping me from using anything I felt like using.