Author Topic: Scraping  (Read 1642 times)

Offline DC

Scraping
« on: April 24, 2015, 01:29:29 pm »
How faithfully will a scraper follow a surface? In the picture you can see a dip in the limb. It's about 4" long, belly at the bottom. If I just take even scrapes along the length of the limb will it follow the shape or will it eventually flatten the dip and possibly make a hinge in that spot. I've been avoiding long scrapes and kind of doing the limb in three sections to maintain the shape but I wondered if the scraper would do that on it's own?

Offline Badger

Re: Scraping
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:37:02 pm »
  DC, the simple answer is when removing wood you have to monitor the bend. A scraper will remove wood wherever you scrape th most. I can't think of anyother answer besides keeping an eye on the thickess and checking the bend regularly.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:48:28 pm »
I agree with Badger.  A scraper will follow the contour or remove wood where you use it.  It's not like a hand plane or jointer that will flatten the surface by removing the dips and valleys.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »
Throw a straight edge on there and strike a line. Use whatever cutting tool you get the best control out of and stay within the line. A scraper will smooth a surface(tool mark removal), but it won't flatten/level one.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
The scraper will follow the contour of the area scraped. You are better off with long scrapes than a few shorter ones. You'll get a more even wood removal with long scrapes.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 02:25:21 pm »
OK Long scrapes but keep my eye on it. That reminded me of an old movie line "Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel"