Author Topic: Where can I find Pacific Yew.  (Read 7117 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Where can I find Pacific Yew.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 08:59:23 pm »
Carson Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is not the gold stuff, but it will do. ;)

You been up in my backyard again Carson?! haha

Not far from your backyard :)

Wow Carson!!!! Have only seen a few that size up here, but no where near as clean. Was that one tree?

I know plenty of areas with yew this size, but finding them this clean is the hard part. I force myself to just keep looking every time I find one almost good enough. I have brought junk wood home before and have learned to be a bit more selective.
These were two trees. One in the middle and the two on either side are eight foot sections of the same tree. Of course there are some knots here and there but had to show the good side for the photos.  :)

Thanks All,

I appreciate the levity and the advice.

Some good advice given. Like wizardgoat said, find the big firs and cedars. Sadly, that is not very easy these days.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 09:05:51 pm »
Oh carson, you dirty filthy tease!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
Wow Carson!!!! Have only seen a few that size up here, but no where near as clean. Was that one tree?

That not real yew, only the bark covering white wood! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nice find Carson!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 08:03:23 pm »
Carson, Those are awesome looking staves!. I put a request into the Rose city bowyers club, but have had no returns yet. Maybe I should have included picture of the bows I've made.

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 09:12:41 pm »
A little peak...

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:14 pm »
Here is some more pics of the Yew, with a natural bend...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 09:46:10 pm »
I am digging your old bench vise. I have one of those just waiting for a bench  ;)
Looks like yew! What exactly is going on at the fades, could you show a closer pic? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
Here are a few more. I apologize for them being all on edge. It doesn't properly show the fades, but there is a very interesting knot hole to look at.  ;D The vice was a garage find. I love how it holds the staves, no matter the shape, or size. I just finished gluing some leather to the faces, with makes the process a lot easier.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:39:52 pm by Tillstave »

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 11:43:48 pm »
Looks like nice wood. You'll want to smooth out your transition from handle to fade to limb. It looks quite abrupt into the limb.
Is the stave freshly cut?

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 11:11:19 am »
That is my plan. I have a bit to go on the tillering, plus softening all the angles, edges, etc. The tree was dead, long dead, when I cut it down, so I dove right in.

Offline Webradbury

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »
I have often wondered about the state permits. Is a permit for cutting Yew from state land or is it needed to cut privately owned yew? Must be good stuff! I live about 3000 miles to the east so i have zero experience with it.

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 06:08:58 pm »
I don't think you need a permit to cut yew on your own land. I've only cut it on BLM land, so I buy permits through them. They aren't very expensive, but only last for a short time, so you have to find a tree, go to the office and get a permit, then go back out to cut the tree. It's a bit of a bureaucratic mess.