Author Topic: My sons first turkey hunt (hunt 2 added)  (Read 6647 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
My sons first turkey hunt (hunt 2 added)
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:24:16 am »
Saturday was my 16 year old sons first turkey hunt.  This is the first year he has been able to handle a 20 guage otherwise he probably would have hunted turkeys in the years past.  My son is not your average 16 year old.  He was born with an extremely rare genetic syndrome called Dubowitz Syndrome.  This causes many issues for him but most apparent is that he is only 5 feet tall and weighs 80 pounds. 

This past Saturday was Keller's first turkey hunt.  I woke Keller at 3:50 am and he ate his breakfast and got ready.  We headed out the door at 4:47 am.  That was pretty good considering he is the slowest person in know.  We arrived at the public land parking lot and I was a little concerned as the parking lot was full of campers. Camping is not allowed at this area but it didn't seem to stop these people. I decided we might as well head out anyway as this is a really big area.

Keller and I got out of our vehicle and began the mile and a half hike up the hill in the dark.  Keller may be small but he can climb hills lik a mountain goat.  I struggled to keep up with him.  As we neared the field I planned to set up in, there was just enough light to see about half way across the field.  I walked most of the way around the small picked bean field to make sure no on else was set up on it.  I was happy to see no on else.  Keller and I set up under. A pine tree.  The top edge of the bean field had a nice row of pines that made it easy for us to make a simple natural blind.  I placed one hen decoy out in front of us and we settled in waiting for legal shooting time. 

Keller and I sat and listened to the birds start singing as the sky brightened.  We had many different birds but to my disappointment we did not hear any gobbling.  As the sun began to rise, Keller said to me, "look at the sunrise."  I looked and saw the sun peaking through the pines.  What a view.  Right after that we both heard our first gobble.  It was coming from behind us in another bean field.  I looked at Keller and said, "let's go get him."  Keller's looked at me with his eyes wide and said ok. 

We got up and left our stuff where it was and we jumped into the row of pines that ran along the edge of the other bean field and we started walking towards the one gobble we had heard.  I lead and Keller walked right behind me.  The pines shielded us from view very well.  Every so often I would go to the edge of the field and peak out to look for the gobbler.  We neared the end of the field and I saw through the pines what we were looking for, a strutting gobbler.  I dropped to my knees and Keller followed suit.  Keller and I crawled as close to the edge of the pines as we dared and Keller got to his knees and readied his gun.  The gobbler was too far for a shot so I called to him with some soft clucks with my diaphragm call.  The Tom instantly fanned out but walked further away from us.

Keller and I backed away from the field and continued on, crawling in the pines.  We then eased up behind the trunk of a large pine and Keller again eased up and readied his gun.  The Tom was a mere 30 yards away.  A pheasant cackled behind us and the Tom let out a thunderous gobble.  Keller looked at me and his eyes were as wide as I have ever seen.  The Tom was putting on a show for us and just strutting around.  I saw Keller click his safety off his gun so I knew he was ready. I let out a couple of yelps and the Tom stuck his head up and Keller pulled the trigger.  Boom.  I was hoping to see the turkey. Drop to the ground but instead the turkey looked around and ran into the woods.  Keller had sot righ over the top of him.

We went and looked where the turkey ran into the woods just to make sure he wasn't laying somewhere but I knew we wouldn't find him.  One thing about Keller is that he does not put any pressure on himself and he handles failure way better than I do.  I told him that he did a great job of stalking within range of one of the toughest animals to stalk.  I also told him I was very impressed with his gun safety through all of this.  Keller seemed very proud.  When we got home he quickly searched the house for his mother.  He was very disappointed to find that she wasn't home.  He couldn't wait to tell his story.

When she finally got home Keller told his story with big eyes and excitement. In Minnesota the youth can hunt until May 28th so I think we will be going out again. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:23:51 am by Swampman »

Offline TRACY

Re: My sons first turkey hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:50:42 am »
Sounds like you both had a great time! Better luck next outing.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:34 am »
Great story, enjoyed that. Nothing like the look in a young ones eyes. :) Thanks for sharing and better luck to him next time. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 10:24:45 am »
My heart is thumping just from reading it.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »
Sounds like a successful hunt with or without a bird to me. Way to go dad!

Hang in there Keller, sounds like you are off to a good start! Post a pic with that ol' Tom when you get him.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:36:38 pm »
Good work, Keller!  Sounds like your old man is learning all that extra size is a pain in the butt to drag up a hill!  Being smaller means you can be quieter and easier to hide.  That's why elephants are herbivores....to big and clumsy to hunt!

I hope you and your dad can come out to the Black Hills of South Dakota and hunt turkeys with me some time.  I will introduce you to a smaller hunter than you:

Her name is Little Red Riding Hoot.

Nag your dad every day until the two of you finally connect on that bird!  It's a game of numbers, you only need to win on the last day you go out!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:01:25 am »
Rock on!!! I also take advantage of the mn youth hunt....and for only $1....so far we have only seen deer and hens but they were all within 3 yards the kids had a blast! Hope next weekend is just as fun and it would not be all bad if a strutted shows this time  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Swampman

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:55:15 pm »
Sounds like a successful hunt with or without a bird to me. Way to go dad!

This was most definitely a successful hunt.  He is ready to go again. 

I hope you and your dad can come out to the Black Hills of South Dakota and hunt turkeys with me some time.  I will introduce you to a smaller hunter than you:

Her name is Little Red Riding Hoot.

JW I showed Keller that picture. He got a kick out of it.  We are most likely going  on a family vacation to the Black Hills in June.  Maybe we will run into Little Red Riding Hoot.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:26 pm »
I am sending you my contact information, Swampy.  If you and your family do not call me when you are out here, I will take it as a personal insult! I will sic that 5 oz killer hooter on you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swampman

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:10:18 pm »
I am sending you my contact information, Swampy.  If you and your family do not call me when you are out here, I will take it as a personal insult! I will sic that 5 oz killer hooter on you!

Well I don't want to insult you JW or have the rath of a 5 oz killer coming down on me. 

I am taking Keller out again this weekend.  I have been hunting all week, but mostly I have been looking for good locations to set Keller up to score.  I have some good leads.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 10:23:52 pm »
Another one hooked! Ratz! I'm getting too old to out run the young ones. ;D Yea, right ;) Sounds like you guys had a really good time, glad for ya.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Swampman

Re: My sons first turkey hunt (hunt 2 added)
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:26:12 am »
Yesterday I was able to take Keller for his second day of turkey hunting.  I woke Keller at 3:30 am and made home some eggs and toast.  He ate them fairly quickly and we headed out the door.  We arrived at our parking spot and I threw on my pack with all our gear while Keller grabbed his gun.  We both grabbed our lights and started off in the dark.  We were headed across a creek and up a hill to a beautiful area.  It was a clearing at the top of a bluff.  The area had been cleared last year when a power company had put up a new power line.  The power lines don't look that nice but the clearing created overlooks an entire valley that gives way to the Mississippi river valley.  It makes for some great scenery.  It is also a favored area for big toms to strut and gobble and we planned to be there before any strutters. 

We finished our mile and a half hike as the sky was starting to brighten.  We found and area to set up and I began to build a blind from many of the logs laying around the area left over from clearing the area.  As I was doing that, Keller whispered to me, "I just heard a turkey!"  I quickly finished the blind and we settled in with our backs against the same tree with a pile of logs in front of us.  I adjusted the log in front of Keller so they were the right height for Keller's gun to rest on.  We put our headsets on and Keller loaded his gun.  We were ready. 

Across we were set up on a point and we heard the turkey Keller had heard gobbling.  I was a little concerned that the gobbling was coming from across a large drainage.  This placed the Tom across a deep valley from us, however it was not very far "as the crow flies".  As the sky brightened, the Tom was gobbling his fool head off.  Very time. Crow would caw, a pheasant would cackle, or a stick would break, that tom was gobbling.  At legal shooting time, I made a couple of quiet pulls on my box call and the Tom cut me off with a gobble.  I wanted him to know where we were.  This gobbling continued for the next 30 minutes until the sun was just coming up.  I would make a few calls on my box call from time to time and it was clear this Tom liked what he heard.  Just after the sun was up, we both heard something hit the leaves below us.  The gobbling had also stopped.  I leaned to Keller to tell him that often, when the gobbling stops it means that the Tom is moving.  I said hopefully it means he is coming to us.  Right after I said that, a thundering gobble startled both of us.  This turkey was close! 

Keller put his gun to his shoulder and clicked his safety off as we both stared in the direction of the gobble.  All of a sudden a periscope like head pooped up from where the clearing dropped off.  The Tom was a mere 35 yards from us as he saw our decoys.  Then the Tom fanned out and began to stru but we could only see the tips of his tail feathers when he strutted.  The Tom then zig zagged his way while strutting and more and more of him came I to view until we could see all of him.  I whispered to Keller that he was close enough to shoot whenever he got a shot.  I had talked to Keller ahead of time to try and not shoot the Tom when he is strutting because the neck is not visible then.  I had told him that if we had a Tom strutting I would make a couple of calls to try and get him to raise his head.  I tried that with this Tom but he just kept on strutting, zig zagging back and forth.  I watched Keller follow him with his gun.  I was ready to fll apart but Keller just kept the gun on the bird.   Finally the bird stopped and was facing us but still I full strut.  At that moment, Keller's gun went off.  The bird just piled up and began to flop.  I jumped up and told Keller I would go get him as I was concerned the bird might flop over the edge.  My worry was unfounded as the bird was dead when I got to it.  I waved to Keller to. On my way! and he leaped over the logs in the blind rather than going around the back of them as I had done. Me was prett pumped up.  He ran to me with the biggest smile I had ever seen.  It was quite a moment. 

We then celebrated and took some time to look the bird over.  He was a wonderful Tom with a 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch Spurs.  We the had a photo session and celebrated with hot chocolate for Keller and coffee for me before we started the long hike back to the vehicle.  Keller called his grandpa before we did that and shared the story with him.  After getting back to our vehicle we went and registered the turkey at a local bait shop.  Keller had never been successful hunting before so this was all new to him.  I walked him through the process and then we got the turkey to weigh it.  The man at the bait shop praised Keller for such a nice bird as we found it weighed 23 1/2 pounds. It was the biggest bird weighed at this spot so far this year.  Keller's chest puffed out a little.  We then headed home.  There was still one person to tell, his mom.  Keller went in the house and he found his mom right away.  She asked why he was home already.  He had a huge smile and said, "I got a turkey!"  It was a great hunt that I will always cherish. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:30:18 am »
Absolutely outstanding Mr. Keller, excellent shooting. (Swamp, aint it great,sir?)
rich

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:15 pm »
congratulations to the both of you!!!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:12:44 pm »
It was exciting just reading, congratulations to both of you.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669