Author Topic: Arrow flight  (Read 4043 times)

Offline bow101

Arrow flight
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »
Just tossing this one out there maybe I'll learn something.  ???   What is it mostly you guys find causes bad arrow flight besides incorrect spine. ...?  I think the big one for me is still getting the fletching at exactly 120 dg.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline paulsemp

Re: Arrow flight
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:18:01 am »
Inconsistent drawing ang releasing. I can make a arrow fly 5 different ways out of the same bow. Not proud of that

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:28 am »
I was going to say letting me shoot it--but Paul beat me to it.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:16:58 am »
I'm not the best archer, far from it. But I've found that having a secondary anchor point and a "face wipe" release, improves my consistensy.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:38:23 pm »
The release !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 01:44:59 pm »
I doubt it is the orientation of the feathers unless they are from different wings. More likely your release or inconsistencies in your form.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:33 pm »
Grip on a self bow can make or break a shot as easily or easier than poor spine, at least for me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:31 pm »
The replies to this were interesting. I never would'a thunk that grip and release, although very important for accuracy, would affect the flight once the arrow settled down. Granted I'm new so I don't know much. I can see that on a short shot, say 15 yds or so, but what about a long shot? Will a good arrow eventually settle down and fly right given enough distance no matter whether the release is right or not?

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:31:30 pm »
I just line up my 3 fletches by eye, and i can get some pretty sweet flight,. As long as my release, grip, anchor, follow through and bow arm are all on point, And im not shooting into a tailwind or crazy crosswind. Did i miss anything? :)  I definitely dont have perfect 120's on every fletch But they can fly purty good.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 11:40:56 pm »
Inconsistent drawing ang releasing. I can make a arrow fly 5 different ways out of the same bow. Not proud of that

Good stuff on here, I'm with you on the "arrow fly 5 different ways"    ;D  I'm the same way.  I'am practicing instinctive and its really paying off.  When I'm consistent they basically hit bulls eye.  If I cant the bow exactly the same every time that helps my accuracy.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »
The replies to this were interesting. I never would'a thunk that grip and release, although very important for accuracy, would affect the flight once the arrow settled down. Granted I'm new so I don't know much. I can see that on a short shot, say 15 yds or so, but what about a long shot? Will a good arrow eventually settle down and fly right given enough distance no matter whether the release is right or not?

The arrow will right itself and fly strait !
 but strait to where is the question

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:43 pm »

The arrow will right itself and fly strait !
 but strait to where is the question

If a good arrow will right itself  will one wonky fletch affect it much? I know it depends but I'm trying to get an idea in my thick skull about how much to concern myself with warped, bent and othwise wonky fletching. I'm very retentive(cheap) and I hate like heck to throw away a possibly usable fletch. I get my feathers from a turkey farm and some of them are less than pristine.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 03:57:42 pm »
If an arrow is psined right I can get them to fly good with one fletching tore off. They don't guide, only drag.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »
Thanks PD, that's what I want to hear. I know at my level of shooting(poor) I shouldn't be concerning myself but if I'm going to make an arrow it might as well be a good one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »
I have had 2 fletch arrows fly funky. That usually means my spine was on the edge of stiff and one feathers worth of drag missing is enough to totally wreck the flight.