Author Topic: Ocean spray question (pics added)  (Read 6045 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Ocean spray question (pics added)
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 06:30:13 am »
  Thats where a limb came in from the belly side and the pressure from you bending the bow did  a little seperating. I'll bet that all of your'lls bows that had this have been in the belly. All of mind were on the belly. Stress cracks where a limb came in from the belly.

I made 4 bows all had these. They never hurt any of my bows.  Thats what I found out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 08:21:14 am »
It scares me only because it creeps up the side and that leads to the back. Id hang it up before it blows in my hands.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 08:37:06 am »
 Wizard, I've been in touch through about 50+ emails with Steve b. and have been invited to comment here though at first I was just going to watch because of my lack of experience with OS. I have worked 2 bows and can see and feel these weird wavy knots. I also believe that these are not compression failures that you have but believe they are expanding from heat and that's why they are there as you said before tillering...The 2 that I've worked and reported back to Steve had zero cracks in these areas but both staves never had any heat tempering or bending...Rich "half eye" has been shooting one of the OS bows I made and maybe he will examine it and chime in...I have mentioned to Steve b. that I think heat is the root cause for these little wavy areas that we call pins to expand and crack...So far so good with no heat...Just my 2 cent sir
                                                                                                                        Don
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:44:09 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes heat has done that on another stave, but I used no heat on the bow. Pearly yes some of the pins went through to the back, that's why I backed it with rawhide.
I haven't blown a bow up in hand yet, gotta sooner or later. I'm up to  a bit over 100 arrows out of this thing, I'll keep going.
This was supposed to be a gift for a friend, but maybe I should just make him a yew bow.
It seems like nearly everyone who has made an OS bow has noticed these marks, but no one has admitted to ever breaking an OS bow because of them. Hmmmmm

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 12:43:42 pm »
I'm going to back up now that I've seen the pictures. I have not seen anything like that in the 10 or so bows I've made. Maybe I don't stress them as much as you guys. I am still a bit of a coward :D I'll try harder.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 03:08:06 pm »
over stressed don? i suppose. ;) its 60" 50# @ 28", stiff handle and less than an 1" wide... like i said though, these marks were in the wood before i started bending it. have they grown? its possible.
the only way to know is to put a bunch of arrows out of it.
i know theres not alot of documenting done on this wood, at least  that i have found.
I'll keep track of my arrows, and let you guys know how she holds up,

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:25 am »
Just a thought....but is it that because ocean spray saplings are not split, it is the end of the grain where the wood spirals?

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 01:42:53 am »
Just to add another voice, I had an OS stave from four years back, develop what I thought was a typical chrysl during tillering and so I set it aside. But it looked and felt exactly like you've described.  I may have to check it out again... I think its still in the shop somewhere.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 03:01:52 am »
I've had that happen a couple of times, haven't had any failures.  Any bend tests on os for me tend to break in tension at knots while the belly wood remains intact, so I haven't worried about it.  Interested to see if anyone else has had problems

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 11:09:51 am »

WG,

I haven't seen that before ( on OS anyway).
It's my theory that OS is weaker in tension than compression.

All my OS bows that failed during tillering had tension failure.  Rawhide on the back should help.

Nice dye job btw.  Due to the size of the OS stave I almost said it was rot. I still think they are vascular bundles that you have revealed by sanding. They seem to line up with the wavy grain/growth rings.  The fact that they didn't take the stain/dye (water based I assume? ) further reinforces the Idea. I think they are Sclerenchyma tissues which are typically hydrophobic, hence no stain.

Anyhow, if you end up punching yourself in the face post the bloody bose pic. 😈