Author Topic: HHB question  (Read 1887 times)

Offline JonW

HHB question
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:22:03 pm »
I finally found a small HHB worth cutting. It's not a very prevalent tree where I'm at so I took it. It is 3" on the small end and 4" on the big end. For those that use this wood a lot how would you proceed? Split or saw? Seems to not have much twist but I have heard it may be hard to read the bark on HHB.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: HHB question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:37:51 pm »
if its straight and no twist i would split, but then i don't have the tools too saw it either lol.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48:08 pm »
I'd peel to see if there is twist. Probably saw no matter  what.  In my experience, HHB always has a very ragged split and not against splitting in a twist even if the outer wood looks straight.

After peeling saw or split right away, or you will end up with the back getting drying cracks.  Once split, no need to seal the back.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:48:48 pm »
Cut it,if the grain is straight split it( maybe just in half) peel the bark off, and seal the back and ends real well
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:14:03 am »
Anything around that small of a diameter I run thru the band saw now due to past experiences splitting small diameters

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 07:55:45 am »
You can get 3 staves out of a 4" tree.  I would kerf with a circular saw then split
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:08:40 pm »
Peel whole to see the grain clearly, saw in half or quarters depending on size, then seal the ends. I don't seal the backs. Doesn't help me one bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »
Peel whole to see the grain clearly, saw in half or quarters depending on size

PD Do you try to follow the grain when you are sawing it? Kind of spiral it through the saw? Just the way you said that made me wonder.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:50 pm »
Not if I can cut it straight and still have enough wiggle room to lay out a 2" wide bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:04:37 pm »
Thanks