Author Topic: Osage Takedown - Wisdom Needed  (Read 5715 times)

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
Re: Osage Takedown - Wisdom Needed
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 10:01:55 pm »

I was trying to maximize the surface area where the two parts touched. You could be right though, maybe with a greater angle it would be less prone to wanting to pull apart.

The only reason to angle the ends is to make the limbs align when put together. There are more stable ways to do that.
can you explain a few better methods?
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline docmann

• Proud Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 07:41:04 pm »
Lefty,
I've never used anything but a metal socket and ferrule system. These use a square joining cut (90 degree) and are completely stable. I'm no engineer, but it would seem that the angle cut (with maximized surface area) would be more helpful if gluing the limbs. I'm sure some here have experience with your fiberglass handle, but it would seem that the more angle cut beyond 90 degrees would contribute to slippage, but again I plead ignorance with your particular system.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 10:11:21 am »
Lefty, I reread your thread. A few things you should do next time otherwise:
First, make the glued on socket on the lower limb – not upper like here.
Second, look at the damaged end. It couldn't hold together – just on that point were you have the most stress on the wood is an outrunning grain and obviously a big knot.
Third, cut the angle mirrorwise. To create pressure in direction of the belly not to the back. Hard to explain for me in English (not native), what I mean is:
look at the side of the bow, left back, right belly, upper limb upside. Now cut the angle from (right) belly down to (left) back. Not otherwise.

Hope this make sense for you.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 12:49:48 pm »
... what I mean is:
look at the side of the bow, left back, right belly, upper limb upside. Now cut the angle from (right) belly down to (left) back. Not otherwise.

Hope this make sense for you.

Either way the angle is made, one limb will have the tip of that angle taking forces in the wrong direction.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline simson

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 02:24:28 pm »

Either way the angle is made, one limb will have the tip of that angle taking forces in the wrong direction.
[/quote]

Jim, that is true, but when the lower limb is glued in the socket, the red line is right for cutting angle. The only direction not provocating delamination.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 03:37:08 pm »

Jim, that is true, but when the lower limb is glued in the socket, the red line is right for cutting angle. The only direction not provocating delamination.
[/quote]
 The article mentions this but it's fairly easy to see how people overlook this subtle difference.

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2015, 03:38:43 am »
There are a series of how to videos on youtube made by a guy called Big Jim. Watch those videos if you want to know how to do this correctly.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:39 am »
I just did one following the BIg Jim video as suggested by Mike.
I didn't saw the joint at an angle... I can't really see any point in it, and your pic illustrates the potential for failure.
Mind, I'd already sawed it straight anyway ::) :laugh:!
The write up of mine starts here...
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/starting-take-down.html
Maybe you can clean up the split/break. Splice on a short section and start again with a straight cut or a much more obtuse angle.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.