Author Topic: MAN TALL  (Read 7627 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
MAN TALL
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:25:49 pm »
I keep hearing about how long bows are "man tall."  I have never made a bow that is as tall as me. In fact I am 75" tall and the longest bow I have made is 66".  Anyone beside me never made a bow as tall as them?  What is the tallest bow you have made?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

Re: MAN TALL
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:13 pm »
70", I do like to start em long that whack em down to size.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »
If you figure that the tips of your fingers, stretched out to the side are the same distance as your height, full draw would be almost 1/2 that distance. For wood bows, about 9/10th broken. ;)
   I am 68" tall and have made bows 70". I have an ash bow I started that is 75 or 76" tall.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:57:24 pm »
Pat, I figure the draw will be about 2/5 of your height.  I need to make at least one just to do it.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 01:07:57 pm »
There are a few things that might have changed since that rule of thumb was invoked.

One, we've gotten taller as a people.  Justin you're proof of that.  By itself that wouldn't make any difference though, since theoretically we would still have the same geometry.

Two, we anchor farther forward than was popular back then.  Corner of the mouth instead of the back of the ear.  So as a percentage of our height, I think our draw length per unit height might be about the same as a short Englishman in the Middle Ages.

Three, we aren't going to die if our bow breaks.  Being in a battle with a bow, I'd want a good safe design too.

Four, we have brought design along nicely from the ELBs and flatbows of old.  Better woods, sometimes maybe better craftsmanship too.  Not that there weren't great bows made back in the old days, but if you were arming an army I don't think you were taking as much time with each unit.  Even Bear Archery has a certain rate of failure and thats with modern materials.  Of course, they had simplicity of design and materials in their favor.

Just some thoughts.  I certainly agree that a bow needn't be as tall as you.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 01:15:08 pm »
Very astute thoughts Lennie.  By using the formula in TBB of 67" for 28" draw +2 for every additional inch of draw, you would come in far under man tall with the forward anchor.  Mine for example would be 71" and still shorter than me. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:22:03 pm »
All of mine are taller than me. ;) ;D ;D
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 02:03:05 pm »
My long bows are taller than me (70"-72")......I'm 68".  I made them back when I was into reenacting the middle ages.  They are sweet shooters but a little too cumbersome.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:11:33 pm »
Two inches shorter than me (70"), for my 27" draw. Longer results in too much handshockl for my liking :P

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:25:56 pm »
I am 6 foot or 72" inches tall, the longest bow I've ever made is 74" long, but I prefer 64" or shorter.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:41 pm »
Pappy you'd have to use sinew on a bow shorter than you.  >:D
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:00:32 pm »
....Iam 74 " tall. Made a bow once that was 80 " Was thinkin' about sinewin' it  :o Just kiddin' ! Bow shot well and even took game was like carrying a javelin though.....bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:36:18 pm »
All of mine are taller than me. ;) ;D ;D
      Pappy
My arrows may be taller than you. :o  OK sorry, that wasn't nice.  I wasn't going to make any short comments when I started this but you brought it up. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:23 pm »
 Good thread Justin, I've often pondered those thoughts as well,   Somehow I had not pictured you that tall. I'm only 65" so I guess that why I like the little shorties.  Now I know why you thoughts those staves I sent wre so short,,,,,LOL,, ;D ;)   Maybe it would be best just to send the whole tree,, ;D :D ;D    Keenan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 05:30:18 pm »
Personal tastes and use matter more than perhaps anything else. I've made 84" bows and 58" bows both drawing 30". The long one could also be a mean club, and the short one is good in the brush..

Most of my favorites are a touch longer than myself 68-70"...

Rich-good post Lennie!