Author Topic: How Would You Deal With This Stave?  (Read 5739 times)

Offline SKansasC

How Would You Deal With This Stave?
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:30:11 am »
I am wanting to rough this stave out a little, and am wondering what you would do with it, or if it is even worth messing with? Overall length is around 68", the knot on the top is 21" down from the top, and the bottom knot is 28" up from the bottom, and the two knots are about 19" apart.

I have some ideas, but then again, I really don't know what I'm doing.

Offline Lefty8917

Re: How Would You Deal With This Stave?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:00:56 am »
Looks like a beautiful piece of wood to me. Depending on if you shoot left or right handed would determine which would be your top or bottom limb. If your right handed I would put that top knot on the bottom limb. It looks like you could get a nice center shot bow without any heating. I wouldnt worry about the knots. From the pictures they seem to be ok. Just leave them stand proud and dont cut them down when chasing the ring. Looking at the last picture, I can see 1 or 2 groth rings on the left. I dont know where your at on chasing the ring but just figured id point it out. Good Luck!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 12:21:11 pm »
I'd build a bow from that nice stave.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online sleek

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 12:52:05 pm »
Looks like a beautiful piece of wood to me. Depending on if you shoot left or right handed would determine which would be your top or bottom limb. If your right handed I would put that top knot on the bottom limb. It looks like you could get a nice center shot bow without any heating. I wouldnt worry about the knots. From the pictures they seem to be ok. Just leave them stand proud and dont cut them down when chasing the ring. Looking at the last picture, I can see 1 or 2 groth rings on the left. I dont know where your at on chasing the ring but just figured id point it out. Good Luck!

Re the growth rings. I dont always chase a ring full stave if im just hacking that bit off anyway.  Looks like those rings are out the way.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:16:14 pm »
Would it be best to cut it down so that both knots are equal distance from the center?

My biggest concern is how to deal with a knot mid limb. Should the limbs be wider around the knot?

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
Yes they should be wider. Look at the grain closely.  You will see how the tree grew around it. Follow that path around the knot. You will be able to see the grain as you draw your outline. Find one line of grain as you lay out the bow and follow it around the knot then begine your taper to the tips. Post pics of your layout around the knot before you cut. We can tell you if you got it right. You may be surprised about how much you dont have to make it wider, only a little bit.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:23:44 pm »
Pay attention to the grain lines around the knot.  They should flow around it and then come back in.  Kind of like water in a stream flowing around a rock.  When laying out the bow limbs just follow the grain lines around them.  Maybe this picture will help

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »
If you center the knots in the limb or at least the best you can they shouldn't be a problem. Get the stave down to floor tiller stage then reevaluate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:26:27 pm »
Pay attention to the grain lines around the knot.  They should flow around it and then come back in.  Kind of like water in a stream flowing around a rock.  When laying out the bow limbs just follow the grain lines around them.  Maybe this picture will help

You stated it better than I. Nice looking hole btw.

Your stave if you look is already flowing around the knot. Just copy that as you reduce it. Your blade will follow the grain anyway if you chop it out.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 01:50:45 pm »
Thanks everyone!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 02:10:39 pm »
Don't be shy, make the limbs a bit wider at knots. If you look close you can see the grain suggest how wide!
As mentioned chase a ring carefully - it's the best injurance.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:51:50 pm »
Good advice above. When you tiller leave the knotted areas just sightly flatter than the rest of the limb, Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online sleek

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 03:02:09 pm »
Say, where in south Kansas are you? Im in Wichita today....

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 04:07:09 pm »
Looks like a real nice character bow. I would lay the bow out so the knots are in the middle. Look forward to seeing it a bow.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline SKansasC

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 08:45:18 pm »
Looks like a real nice character bow. I would lay the bow out so the knots are in the middle. Look forward to seeing it a bow.

Don't get your hopes up!  :laugh: