Author Topic: More fuming experiments (update 2!)  (Read 22247 times)

mikekeswick

Re: More fuming experiments
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 03:18:07 am »
Ammonia is the usual thing to use for this kind of thing.
You just put the stave in a sealed container with an open pot of ammonia.
I presume that Simson is doing the same thing???

By the way when your mate passes you a bottle of ammonia with a grin and says 'have a smell of this stuff'.....don't!!!

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:32 am »
Hmm, I find that incredibly fascinating. I'm in love with that dark chocolate look on the Osage.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:15 pm »
Any further testing done yet???

OneBow

Offline Willibow

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 01:43:15 am »
What sorts of materials are safe and commonly used as a container for fuming a bow?  I'd like to give this a try and was thinking a large piece of PVC piping with caps on each end would be an easy way to fume a bow.
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:38 am »
Any further testing done yet???

OneBow

Yes, I do permanently experiments on that things. I will post a fumed elm HLD bow soon. And I#m trying to get an osage chocolate bow :laugh:

What sorts of materials are safe and commonly used as a container for fuming a bow?  I'd like to give this a try and was thinking a large piece of PVC piping with caps on each end would be an easy way to fume a bow.

Any plastic foil pipe or a hard plastic pipe will work. As Mike said it must be sealed - no damps should come out. Work carefully, the stuff is dangerous. Post your experiments!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Willibow

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:01 am »
If the hickory bow I'm working now survives the tillering process I think I'll be trying this  ;D
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
Very cool, thanks for posting this simson! I have been wanting to try something like this for a while now. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »
Have you tried soaking it in tea for a bit, maybe up the tannin content. Although now that I've said that you would have a tough time getting me to soak a finished bow in tea ???

Offline Willibow

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »
I did some further research and it looks like HDPE is non-reactive with ammonia. Some plastics will be eaten up by it.  PVC is listed as "not recommended" for contact with ammonia solutions, so be careful if you're thinking about using pvc pipe to seal the bow up. Go with HDPE.

Now I've got to try this :-)
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline simson

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 04:58:05 am »
Have you tried soaking it in tea for a bit, maybe up the tannin content. Although now that I've said that you would have a tough time getting me to soak a finished bow in tea ???

I have tried to increase the reaction with soaking before with tannin acid. No good result, all the fine structure have been gone, only a one tone color came out.

I did some further research and it looks like HDPE is non-reactive with ammonia. Some plastics will be eaten up by it.  PVC is listed as "not recommended" for contact with ammonia solutions, so be careful if you're thinking about using pvc pipe to seal the bow up. Go with HDPE.

Now I've got to try this :-)

I use a 25% solution of ammonia. There is no direct contact with the fluid and The pipe /foil. Only the fuming damps are inside. Til now no problem at all. But thanks for the tip!

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 04:03:22 pm »
That's wicked.

Cloudfeather (bit late to answer your question, but what the heck): Fuming will temporarily loosen the hydrogen bonds among the cellulose molecules (and other molecules), allowing to bend the wood without affecting tension properties a lot.
After the ammonia has evaporated, new hydrogen bonds are made, but at other places.
In non-fumed wood that's being bent, the stacked wood fibers are being put under considerable strain. Ammonia-fuming allows these stacks to glide over each other a bit (the hydrogen bonds have dissolved) during bending, as a result of which you can bend the wood in a crazy fashion as the wood is strained considerably less than with heat-bending. Once the ammonia is gone, the wood stays in that shape and new hydrogen bonds are being formed among the new neighbouring stacks of cellulose molecules.

As a corollary, the ammonia also affects the tannins in the wood, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia_fuming

Offline Willibow

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 04:34:31 pm »
So it sounds like you may be able to get some more extreme bends using ammonia.  Has anyone ever tried this?  I've had a rough time flipping tips using dry heat in the past and would be interested in hearing the land-mines associated with bending with ammonia.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2015, 06:16:05 pm »
Willibow, ammonia is extremely irritating to about every part of your body, especially eyes and respiratory system. Not to be used without utmost precautions. That's quite a "landmine"
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemicals/chem_profiles/ammonia.html

If you have trouble bending wood using dry heat (like I do), that's often because of a lack of patience (heat gun too close to wood, heating the wood too fast... Result is that wood is not heated evenly to the centre of the stave).
To flip tips, I prefer steaming the ends for 20 minutes or so, and immediately bend the tips over a caul. Boiling the tips should also work.

Offline simson

Re: More fuming experiments (updated!)
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 04:03:39 pm »
I had two bows in the fuming tube, an osage and a black locust. Both were in the tube for 5 days. Look what a beautiful chocolate came out. On the osage is a white earth pigment rubbed in, it stays in the rough early wood layer and gives a cool effect to the wood.
I'm astouned the BL color is not far away from the osage.
There is no dye and no stain on the woods.

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline alwayslookin

Re: More fuming experiments (updated!)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:12 pm »
That is awesome I might have to try this out. Explain what u did with the white pigment. What was used? How you applied it?
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.