Author Topic: Osage Takedown - Wisdom Needed  (Read 5714 times)

Offline Lefty8917

Osage Takedown - Wisdom Needed
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:40 pm »
This is a 65" osage take down made from 2 billets. I used a 2 part epoxy and fiberglass cloth for the handle. The handle turned out great. It seems to be very strong and by bottom limb fits in like a glove. I have been floor tillering it for a few days now with no issues. Today I went to put pressure on it as if I were stringing the bow and the top limb (which has the handle connected) slipped up and the two pieces pulled appart. Creating an aweful cracking sound and the damage shown in the pictures. This is my first attempt at any form of a takedown bow. Am I missing anything? or did i do someting wrong? Can I still salvage a takedown bow from this or should I just epoxy it together and call it a day?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage Takedown - Wisdom Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:14 pm »
You can probably repair the cracks with good glue and clamps. I think I'd reinforce the FG sleeve at the open end. If that gives in the least it will probably happen again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:28 pm »
Looks like the handle sleeve flexed, letting the angled end of the limb tilt to where the tip was the only part with strain on it. 
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:52:15 pm »
Holy cow man. . Sorry. . I got no fix for you but i feel your pain. ..
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:59:01 pm »
Did you make the sleeve useing madcrows how to
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 08:19:49 pm »
Bubby, I used a how-to by Brian Rose out of primitive archer mag. I really dont think I have any bend in the handle. The damage came from when the bottom limb was slipping out the the sleeve with pressure still applied. I believe I can use clamps and glue to fix it. The only thing I worry about is it slipping out again. Is there a special way to string this type of take down?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 08:20:42 pm »
Looks like your glass should have extended up the handle a bit farther. If you  glue and clamp and then put a vertical kerf and insert in it should tie it all back together.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:39:13 pm by PatM »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 08:29:43 pm »
well I usually have a suggestion for everything, I am stumped on this one,,since I have no experience with that design,, I would glue it together and shoot it,, :)

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:37:53 pm »
Pat B, I think your suggestion to reinforce the open end of the sleeve is the way to go. Because, the FG did crack there on the belly side. So if I am correct, the FG probably failed there creating enough flex in the handle to push the bottom limb the rest of the way out. I will glue and clamp those cracks then wrap another layer or two of FG around that open end. I hope that will do it.

Offline rps3

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:02:40 pm »
I was standing beside him when it happened. Not a sound anybody wants to here. I think he will be able to salvage a takedown out of it, just part of the learning curve.

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 02:24:54 am »
Run thin superglue into the cracks and then clamp shut. Once dry very carefully remove any excess glue. Then get hold of some carbon woven cloth (like your glass) and add a few more wraps. The carbon is more flex resistant than the glass.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 03:12:17 am »
Looks like the cutting angle is about 30°. Is it possible the limb comes slowly out of the sleeve when shooting? Maybe then the stress is located on a little point.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 10:51:00 am »
Simson, are you saying I should have made the cutting angle a little steeper? I was trying to maximize the surface area where the two parts touched. You could be right though, maybe with a greater angle it would be less prone to wanting to pull apart. Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 02:02:10 pm »
Simson, are you saying I should have made the cutting angle a little steeper? I was trying to maximize the surface area where the two parts touched. You could be right though, maybe with a greater angle it would be less prone to wanting to pull apart. Thanks everyone for the input so far!

Yes that's my thought. If it is a glue joint I would go for a glue surface as long as possible. In this case I would go for a 45° angle to prevent tearing apart slowly after every shot. Of course the sleeve should be strong enough.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:02:48 pm »

I was trying to maximize the surface area where the two parts touched. You could be right though, maybe with a greater angle it would be less prone to wanting to pull apart.

The only reason to angle the ends is to make the limbs align when put together. There are more stable ways to do that.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine