Author Topic: Clean osage stave for sturgeon skin...  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Clean osage stave for sturgeon skin...
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:34:43 pm »
Trying to get a decent size set of sturgeon skins. Preferably big enough to get two strips from each side. Have some clean osage staves a little over 6 feet in length.

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Clean osage stave for sturgeon skin...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:50:31 pm »
Sturgeon skins are worth a osage stave? I need to tell my dad to start saving em!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Stringman

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:33 pm »
The value comes from the prep work as well as the size. Catch em, clean em, dry em, offer em up for trade.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:05 am »
I'd say so. I've been wanting some for a while. It's easy enough for me to get carp or catfish skins where I'm at. Sturgeon, not so much. lol

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:33 am »
There is a right way to dry and prep any skins, and a wrong way. The right way is easily worth a decent stave, the wrong way is worth a toss in the garbage can. Been there done that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:42:19 pm »
Same as snake skin right? Not to hijack this, but just skin, tack to a board, leave out of the sun with some good air flow for a couple weeks.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:40 pm »
And if you have an extra skin I'd offer the same. Not trying to hijack your thread Cloudfeather. I'm close to osage country and miles and miles from sturgeon water. About the only thing I'm liable to catch is carp, catfish, bullheads, or a cold.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 03:12:37 am »
Fish skins really need to be scraped well, especially the thicker ones like sturgeon. And especially for sturgeon the skins need to be tacked up so the pattern runs straight, and use lots of tacks. A good tack job is the difference between backing 1 or 2 bows, to 3 and maybe even 4 on a big pair.