Author Topic: It's been forever  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Tracker0721

It's been forever
« on: April 07, 2015, 07:04:38 pm »
I haven't touched my tools or rock in so long that I feel I have to make some cobble. I ran by Curtis Smith's place last year and got a 5 gallon bucket of georgetown and still have most of it so I'm gonna go pick a good chunk then try making a point while taking pictures of the process. This will be a reverse how to if ya'll wanna join in and tell me where I'm going wrong as it happens. Hope the pictures load...
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Zuma

Re: It's been forever
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:39:44 pm »
I guess if you checked you are now looking for a photo remedy.
From what I have heard Curt's flint knaps itself.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:42:12 pm »
It seems so easy to post pictures... But it's a lie!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:35:44 pm »
My tools, my inspiration, the piece I chose, and the first flake

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39:08 pm »
Broke a large chunk off, got a lot of fractures, got it looking better, chipped a lot in frustration but it wasn't looking too bad

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:21 pm »
Starting to take shape, too much pressure on the tip and broke it, you can also see the 2 hinges of doom which are on the opposite side, and restarting the shaping process.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:44:29 pm »
Finished point. Just a basic triangle. The 2 hinges joined into 1 that ruined it for me. From that big slab to this. I'm gonna get back to practicing from now on haha

Offline 1442

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 01:17:43 am »
Heck!
That's not bad.
I can start out with a rock twice that size and wind up with a point half that size more times than not, and I been knapping fairly regularly.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:35 am »
Unfortunately tonnage is something most all of us have to endure, ha :). Keep hittin them rocks, it'll come around.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:20:45 am »
Getting there,  it looks like you need to abrade a little more.   Try not to shoot flakes into concavities and hinges.  Other than that if your in central Tx.  try to come to the Yeuga bow bust coming up this spring. There is usually a knapp-in also.  Where do you live?

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:56 pm »
I always forget to abrade... And as long as the bow bust isn't between now and mid may I'll be there! I'm a soldier on fort hood and had guard last year so I couldn't make it. Wanna get a bow made and a few arrows. Got the fletchings, made plenty of trad arrows including hand planing a few dozen. The goal is to eventually do some primitive hunting.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 08:50:29 am »
Fort Hood aye? Well... Your in luck! Go into Killeen until you find the river,creek whatever it is and there you will find your tonnage. There's a city park where the creek and a main road intersect, that's where I picked most of mine or you can follow the gravel bars for miles down. Cool looking stuff  :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:48 pm »
Seriously Cowboy?! I've taken my kid to that park so many times. Never checked for rock though. It's on the eastern side of town right? There's a concrete path under the bridge connecting the park to both sides of the road?

Offline cowboy

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 07:17:38 pm »
I think so, it wasn't that developed when I was there. You can walk it up into the neighborhoods or drive around to all the crossings even below the dam and outside of town. It's all in there, just look for the brownish rocks. Pick ya out a likely hammer stone and check em all out. You'll find some premo but you'll have to cook it. Let us know :).

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 07:55:39 pm »
Will do! I'll have to head over there tomorrow after work. Is it that cow patty stuff or what?