Author Topic: My staves new home!  (Read 4188 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
My staves new home!
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
As the title says, my staves have a new home. I built this in about 2 hours. A good use of a wasted space above my garage door. Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: My staves new home!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:10:10 am »
Watch the heat up there Patrick. Your in OK right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:21:37 am »
No Pearl, I'm actually in springfield MO area. Do you think it will get too hot like that? Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 11:33:13 am »
Yes. I ruined a huge batch of osage over one day in my garage. Basements are the best place to slow dry/season osage IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:40:27 am »
Really!? I've kept my staves in my garage for the last 2 years without any trouble. Never hanging from the ceiling though. I plan on putting 2 ceiling fans up in the garage too. Do you think it would help if I had the air moving in there? Patrick

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42:49 am »
I've got mine like that.  I've never had trouble with mine and the heat but we've got serious humidity - maybe that counterbalances?
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:46:44 am »
Go for it man, just letting you know what happened to mine. If it doesn't work out you'll know for the next time.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 11:53:22 am »
Thanks, we do get a good amount of humidity here. Missouri gets all of the extremes as far as the weather goes. I'll keep an eye on them for sure. Patrick

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 05:01:36 pm »
You might re-think the fans. Moving air dries way faster than still air. Fast drying equals checking. You might take some of it down for a week or so to see what happens. At least you won't ruin the lot.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 05:10:38 pm »
Thanks, hopefully the fans are just for me! The only staves up there that ain't cured is the big hickory staves on the right side. I really appreciate the feedback guys, I never thought about all of that when I decided to make the rack. Thanks again, Patrick

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:41:27 pm »
Patrick,  I recognize some of those osage staves. I dont know if they are cured or not but keep an eye on them. Or just leave one up there for a month and check on it. I recall some of those staves having water drip out when we split them.

Actually,  more I think about it,  your garage door is almost always open right? The more its open better you will be.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 08:37:15 pm »
My shop is a tin roof and sides thing, kinda like a big hot Box most of the year. No problem for me either.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 10:07:45 pm »
Your right sleek, pretty much open unless I'm not home or in bed. I did forget about the water in the ones we got. I will definitely watch them for sure!

Thanks mullet! Patrick

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 10:24:54 pm »
Your hickory will be fine up there.  You can't hardly get it to dry.  Just watch for checking.  I keep my staves in a pole barn garage.  I have them on ground level and in the ceiling. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 11:45:32 pm »
Thanks Osage, that hickory was cut back in November around the first. I hope this is only temporary storage. If it ever stops raining so much I'm going to get my shop started! 14x20 with a loft and a gambrel roof!  Patrick