Author Topic: Epic Roadtrip  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Zuma

Re: Epic Roadtrip
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 09:59:26 pm »
I hope to make it to the Classic.
Must sees--- Gran Tetons, for agate. Grand Canyon for wonder,
Niagra falls, wet and wild. Bar Harbour, same. Mt Washington NH.
Cape Cod, Finger Lakes for Onandoga chert.
Goose Lake CA for obsidian. Warner Mts. north of Arturus.
Texas Hills just because.
I live on the Shennandoah near Luray.
Bon Voyage
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 09:05:52 am »
Instead of hitting Michigan at Windsor/Detroit - I'd come in at Port Huron and Head straight north then go across the Upper Peninsula and over/down into Wisconsin.   You'd cut out all urban crap of Detroit/Chicago unless you like concrete and traffic.
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 11:55:40 am »
WOW! That is going to be a great trip. I lived in north Carolina for a couple years. The blue ridge parkway is a beautiful thing to see.you should run through it or pretty darn close. If you was going through north Carolina I'd say chimney rock. I wish I could get to the classic.  But untill I move to south Carolina I won't be able to make it. Drive safe and all of you guys and gals have fun at the classic and be safe.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bushboy

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »
Looks like your going to nova Scotia where i'm from.i would check out the Cabot trail and fortress Louisburg. Also the south Shore yarmouth and peggy's cove.if your in n.s in may,june I could hook you up to go on a lobster boat in harve boucher n.s where I used to fish with one of my old buds.let me know,looks like a epic trip indeed! I'm in manitoba so maybe next go round!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 10:23:11 pm »
Listen up, wizzerguts!  You are on I-90 heading thru Rapid City, SD.  You will be four blocks north of my house.  I will be offended, put out, and simply p.o.'d if you blow past!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 02:55:49 am »
sweet i knew this post would be a good idea!

Blackhawk - I think we'll take your advice on Utah. We have prairies in Canada, I know flat and boring....
                   I googled a bunch of your east coast suggestions, will for sure be hitting up some of those spots, thank you.
Parnell - No Florida this time! I was there 3 years ago and loved it. Other than the humidity, that was too much for this PNW boy!
Will - I too have seen lots of this country for the window of a tour bus. I think my co pilot this time will be a little more pleasant than 4 big sweaty dudes!
        would love to get some of that rock!
Buffalogobler - We wont be around for that shoot but it sounds like fun. Ive been to niagra a couple times, but the wife really wants to see it too.
Falcon, mhof86 - inbox empty. thanks for the offer sir! if it works out i'll hit you up for sure!
hedgeapple - blue ridge parkway is highlighted in my map book, looks super nice
Idahomatt - if it looks like it'll work, i'll hit you up for sure. Pm your contact info
mullet - see you at the classic
wolfwatcher - thanks for the advice on yellowstone. and also that museum, your the 3rd person to mention dead indian pass so it's for sure on my list too. thanks
Zuma - some of those look cool, thanks
blackcoyote - good call on cutting out the detroit chicago stuff. looks like a nice route
timothyR - chimney rock is on my list, cheers
bushboy - thanks for the novia scotia ideas, really excited for that part of the trip. if your serious about the lobster boat that would be amazing. we'll be out there in lobster season? thats good news
JW - i wouldnt want to offend you! haha, PM me your info and we'll make sure to take a pit stop!

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:40 am »
Bone pile - I often take wood across both borders. as long as its debarked, its technically "processed lumber".
pearl drums - we may come in from the north of michigan now, if we do we'll have to meet up
pappy - we figured nows as good time as ever to do it, looking forward to meeting you, see you soon

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 03:01:33 am »
paulsemp - if we end up in chicago i'll be sure to hit you up for suggestions, cheers

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:54 am »
Yup,just message me a week or so before you will be there and I will try to set it up.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 08:10:59 am »
I suggest fly fishing in Spearfish Canyon in the Black Hills of SD. One of the beautiful places I've ever seen. The black hills is are what I picture heaven to look like.  Also, go to Custer SD and play chicken with the bison. They like to stop traffic, better than a traditional traffic jam IMO.

I would put Oscar's Blues in Longmont CO on the dinner/drinks list. It used to be in Lyons, CO before the flooding a few years ago. Tuesday's used to be open mic bluegrass night. Some of the best bluegrass musicians in the world live in that area. The music my family used to hear weekly for no cover would make many folks quite jealous.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline neuse

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 08:38:51 am »
Thats cool.

I would love to do that some day.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:20 am »
I think I would start the trip in the San Jauns!  If you get to Cody, we are just an hour southwest.  We live on a buffalo ranch in the mountains and the last 8 miles is a County gravel road that is usually OK for big outfits.  Lots to see here!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 09:49:51 am »
WOW we need to pin this up and keep it going for everyone !
Hawk man is telling strait up on what he said
while there are many events that would be worth the trip timing on them could be an isue
If you think you will be thru the middle of Ohio let me know and I can set you up with some folks to help you quarry rock at Flintridge just like folks did in time past Hope you can see the museum there small but cool
Man I have to show my youngest brother this he is riding his motorcycle to Oregon this summer !
Have fun and hope to meet you at Pappy's or If Marshall Mi memorial weekend works out see ya there
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:59:41 am by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:02 am »
Yeah, you definitely shouldn't try to bring any staves across the Canadian border. They will almost certainly not let them through, and may confiscate them. They are even touchy on wooden souvenirs that don't have a sealant finish.

You'll be driving right past Fredericton when you are in New Brunswick. Its a great little city, and home for me. I'd check out Hopewell Rocks in NB if I were you. They're pretty cool. You'll also be driving right past King's Landing, which is one of those historical settlements where they show you how people lived during the time. You know the kind of place where the staff are all dressed in period clothing and won't break character. Its rated one of the best in the world in its category. I'd check it out for sure. They do a lot of demonstrations of things like barrel-making and such. If you're the kind of guy interested in primitive archery, I bet you'd like it.

Offline PNewton

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2015, 01:01:28 pm »
Looks and sounds like an awesome trip. I'm going to second blackcoyote's suggestion to come into Michigan through Port Huron and go through the UP. Great scenery up there. We're just north of Port Huron and planning to spend a week camping in the western UP in July. Have a fun trip.