Author Topic: old topic- hot box  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Aries

old topic- hot box
« on: April 05, 2015, 11:15:07 am »
I did a couple forum searches on here about hot boxes and the last good discussions I saw were in 07.  I am starting over building back up my bow making garage from scrap and am needing to build a hot box. Since 07 they have changed regulations on house hold bulbs and they now use less energy.

Is this effecting heat output: what bulbs do you guys use now?

If you were to rebuild your home box today what style would you go with?
I appreciate any feed back, have a wonderful Easter!
God bless
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: old topic- hot box
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:40:56 am »
Any regulated heat source should work. A small space heater is one option but overheating the heater is a consideration. My hot box has 3 ceramic light sockets. I use 100w, 150w and 200w bulbs in mine with a thermostat that cuts off at 186 degrees but rarely go that hot. I built the box for glass bows(first and only one failed). Now I use it for drying bow wood and maintaining M/C of bow wood. I regulate the heat by unscrewing bulbs to get the temp to about 100deg(F).
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:42:41 pm »
I built my hot box like the one suggested in Dean Torges' book "Hunting the Osage Bow".  Mine is 16" square and 7'-0" long, made of 3/8" OSB and lined with 3/4" rigid foam insulation.  It works great. 

Like Pat B, I used three ceramic light fixtures mounted on a board that can be removed.  I use two wall paper hanging trays filled with water to regulate the MC.  A $10.00 hygrometer from Lowes lets me know the temperature and relative humidity.  A shelf the length of the hot box provides support for multiple staves or billets.  The sides of the shelf have a 3/4" gap the full length to allow for good air and heat flow.

It's simple but effective and I would build another one just like it if needed.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 05:12:20 pm »
Here is mine.  I use it for drying staves occasionally.  It has plenty of heat and air flow.  I crack the door open on the front to reduce the temp if I need to.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42747.0/nowap.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aries

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:27:21 pm »
Thank you guys so much for the support!
I raided lowes today and am working on it now,
Happy easter!
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 09:15:35 pm »
Instead of light bulbs I used an old waterbed heater. Lays flat, gets my box into the 90's, comes with a thermostat and you don't have to worry about knocking off a bulb.