Author Topic: holmeguaard help advice needed  (Read 11174 times)

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
holmeguaard help advice needed
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:07:29 am »
hey guys,,been offline since july but back now..i hope..anyway ahave a newly made holmegaard bow..an it's a lefty..my problem is,,the string is "too" centered...  meaning when arrow is nocked, the arrow rest against belly side of arrow rest but not out to back of bow making arrow shoot to the right...can I .....(actually makes sense in my head..but,,best check lol) if I file the string nock on the left side of bow deeper (the are not even full string depth now) wouldn't that move string center right?  not planning on too much filing and there is enough wood..just wondering if my thinkin be right.. thanks! RC
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline J05H

Re: holmeguaard help advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:07:01 am »
If i'm understanding correctly, your string is well centered, but the arrow is contacting the arrow pass to close to the belly, right? If so, then what I would do is work the arrow pass down until the arrow contacts where you want it to. If the string is tracking down the center of the handle, I wouldn't mess with the nocks. But that's just one opinion. I'm sure you'll get many more.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 10:12:10 am »
If it's a self bow a small tweak at the handle with heat may help, maybe reduce the handle if you have the meat or try a lighter spine arrow.filing the nocks should help some or even cut in side nocks are a few options. But the string being to centered has never been a problem for me.sounds more like a handle problem not being square.?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 10:43:10 am »
thanks for the replies!  I should've mentioned the handle/arrow rest are narrow enough that I wouldn't want to cut anymore on there..truly not sure if I could cut away enough to straighten arrow out on rest... I'm not sure how much filing the string nock will move the string over, but with arrow nocked it doesn't take alot of pressure to 'straighten" arrow on rest.. not even sure where string is suppose to line up on a holmegaard...just seems if centered ,arrow rest would almost have to be centered too...any help/advice/even a gibbs slap-- is appreciated  RC
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 11:08:39 am »
Many bows shoot fine with the arrow resting off center. There needs to be a harmony between the bow and your arrows. Its possible that your arrows are too stiff and don't bend/paradox around the bow when shot.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 11:40:32 am »
hmmm.. well bow is #50, an arrows are for a #50..right now i'm shooting about 6-8" to the right @15yds....

not sure how far I could drop....or rather afford to drop...lol
tryin to post pic but says can't be saved,,,,drat..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 11:52:18 am »
maybe..
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
if the rest is not cut into the bow,,, maybe try shooting the bow with the bottom limb up,, if that does not work,, then adjusting the handle slightly ,,also loosen your grip when shooting :)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:14:02 pm »
If youre hitting right and are a lefty, sounds like your spine is too stiff. Most selfbows are not center shot and shoot just fine. Your dynamic spine of arrows  should be 5-10# under your bow weight to allow the paradox around the handle.  An easy way is to increase your point weight, and see if that improves it.

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 12:40:41 pm »
bradsmith..there is a rest cut in bow already..the arrow,when nocked lays against belly side of bow but then angles out away from bow...really don't want to cut any more away there...but Thanks!   Bubbles,, I can try heavier tips, maybe even find a lighter spined arrow to try..this bow shoots well...and consistent...an always to the right lol  be okay if deer was goin that way I guess! 
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 12:46:17 pm »
i didnt mean cut the handle more,, maybe adjust with heat and bend it just a bit,, Its a good idea to not cut a rest in case you need to make adjustments,,, just gives you more options if the bow needs a bit of tuning or if you need to flip the bow to get it to shoot good,, also what is your brace height,, I really dont think the arrow spine is the problem,, you can try a longer arrow,, it  will shoot more toward the left,, seems to have more effect on point of impact than just a lighter spine,,something about how much arrow is in front of the bow at release,, you might try shooting it with the bottom limb up anyway,, just to see what it does :) 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:54:49 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Rcdeer

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 01:03:28 pm »
I could try a longer arrow fer sure,,but heatin and bendin a bow scares the bejeebers outa me..!   this bow was made for me by a good friend ,,it might be 6th or 7th one he's ever built...and he learns abit every day...(although..he did mention he'd never make another holmegaard!  lol)  I'm jus tryin to get this to shoot without having to adjust my aim to get arrow where it should go...the filing the string nock seemed to be an answer,,,but I figured I best check first and I knrw this forum was best place to get a good honest answer..I also have a shagbark hickory stave I plan on trying...to make a bow out of  so i'm learning a lil everyday..every bit of info and experience helps! 
..Upstate N.Y.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »
well you just dont have that much nock to file,, but every little bit will help,,try that and longer arrow and it should come over some,, and what is the brace,,, if not to high, raising it a bit will help also

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 01:33:09 pm »
Maybe I'm miss-understanding, but...
It sounds like you just need to adjust the arrow pass a whisker and shoot weaker spined arrows.
With an arrow nocked on the string at brace, the arrow should touch the bow midway between belly and back.
If that's not happening just rasp a little off the belly where the arrow touches, you don't need to cut a notch.
I have a cabinet rasp, V fine cut one side coarse the other.
I put it on the arrow pass with the coarse side against the wood with the bow braced and the string pressing on the smooth side and gently draw rasp and string back and forth so it cuts in line with the arrow travel.
Hang on, I'll do a sketch to show what I mean...
These little bits of tuning can make a big difference, especially if the brace it taken up say an extra 1/4"
Del
BTW. Surely that's a Mollegabet not a Holmgaard?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 01:39:58 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
nice sketch, ,that will help for sure