Author Topic: Seated Stringing  (Read 2179 times)

Offline WarBeer

Seated Stringing
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:36:20 pm »
Howdy:) (redirected post)

I'm shooting from a wheelchair and have struggled at times with stringing my bows. Up 'till now, I've placed the bow on my lap (facing away) with the stringer running behind me (behind chair back). I push with my left arm and string with my right hand. On my 64" deflex/reflex, this was always a challenge. It's not a great angle, so my arm (left/push) would run out of reach just as I struggled to get the string loop on. My little 50" Samick SKB was never to difficult, as the shorter limbs = less string to stretch. The old "nylon chord" stringer that I used on the 64" wore out and I purchased a new one that uses paracord. Well, the paracord stretches a bit too much. I just can't get it strung this way. So, I need a new method...lol. I was thinking that a "tillering stick" would probably work. I was hoping to get some thoughts from those more familiar, since I've never owned or used a tillering stick. Would it need to be longer than a typical tillering stick? Would I benefit from having one with a larger "cup like" cradle as opposed to the inexpensive and common "board" version? Maybe have a latch or strap over bow handle to prevent a "finished" bow from flying off into outer space should the stringer boot slip off (god forbid...lol)?

I know that bow vises get used on compound bows. I don't even know it they would work on a tradition bow.

I'll probably never go much longer than a 64"...but I'd really like the flexibility to shoot others besides my SKB 50".

Any advise would be most appreciated:)

Scott

JacksonCash

Re: Seated Stringing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:03:51 pm »
I would think that a tillering stick type of system would work. I'd start with a long one and cut down for comfort and ease of use. I would do somewhat of a cup, or Y to hold the bow on the end.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »
Scott;

If you are shooting a glass bow, why not eave it strung? It doesn't hurt the bow. I live some of mine strung for months. I have one that is very reflexed and a struggle to string. I keep it strung all season.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:05:23 am »
Scott, do a google search for "wall mounted bow stringer". There is a thread on Leatherwall with pictures, its just two wooden pegs properly placed on the side of a bench or post. you place the bottom limb in front of lower peg and in back of the upper peg and just pull down on the top limb and slip the string on. Clear as mud huh. If you cant find it send me a PM and I'll send you a link. They used to have these in all the old archery clubs years ago.

Offline WarBeer

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:19 am »
@ Tallpine...I could eve mount it horizontal on a bench...with the loop end hanging past the edge and just push down on the limb and slip the string on:) That looks really simple and safe;)

I greatly appreciate all the wonderful suggestions:)

Scott

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 06:57:48 am »
Almost need something on the floor to give you similar leverage. Bag of lead shot or sandbag in a floor corner to push the lower limb nock into with string already in groove and then flexing that limb slide the loop into the upper  limb string groove. It we be tough with high poundage though.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:07 am »
This should do it..

"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline WarBeer

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 12:37:13 am »
@ bow101....thanks brother! I saw a picture on the Stickbow forum that was exactly like what you have here. I believe the gentleman built his off a post in his basement. It's a great design. Simple, inexpensive and effective. (plus a small footprint;)

If it were constructed out of a 2x4 type of frame (that was then secured to the wall) I could probably have a few positions for the lower pivot.(if even necessary) I think where you have it in the picture could handle several lengths don't you think? I bet a bower roller for a boat trailer would work pretty nice on that lower point;)

Scott

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 12:35:54 pm »
  I like that set up bow101.