Author Topic: Finish questions  (Read 1497 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Finish questions
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:33:29 pm »
I have a list of questions relating to finishing a bow.   I have searched the how to's forum and here but have not found the answers to the following. 

1.  What size bottle of Tru oil will it take to do 8 -10 coats on an average bow?   I don't know when I will need more so I don't want to have 1/2 a bottle go bad sitting on the shelf. 

2.  Should I glue on a leather wedge (or floppy rest maybe) before or after I apply the tru oil?  I assume I should apply the true oil and any wax before I put on the handle wrap but I would obviously have to glue anything that is going to be glued for sure before wax is applied. 

3.  If I were going to apply a wood sealer before applying the tru oil what is a compatible sealer?  Not sure I want to do this step or if it would be very beneficial in reality compared to just 8-10 coats of tru oil without sealing the wood first.  I'm open to suggestions/opinions about the use of a "sealer" before the tru oil. 

4.  Is it necessary/beneficial to scuff the tru oil with steel wool between coats?  If so should I do that after each coat or every so many coats?

Offline Weylin

Re: Finish questions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:48:58 pm »
I buy 8 oz. bottles because the little ones are almost as expensive. they are a ripoff. I poke a tiny hole in the foil cover of the cap and drip out what I need for the coat into a little plastic cup. It lasts a long time that way.

do your finish and then do your wrap. you can carefully scrape away the finish in the spot where you want to glue on the rest if you're worried about the bond.

I don't think you need a sealer under the tru-oil but if you want to do one I don't think it will effect the tru-oil. I could be wrong because I don't know exactly what you're using. I have put down a coat of shellac before my tru oil before.

I give it a quick rub with 0000 steel wool between coats. be gentle or you'll go through your finish but it's good for knocking off any grit that stuck to your last coat.

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:51 pm »
I think that about covers it!  :laugh:
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 11:22:58 pm »
Thanks.  I don't have a particular sealer in mind just wanted to see if they were commonly used but not commonly mentioned.  I read somewhere that someone's opinion was that Tru Oil alone would not seal the wood near as well as a combination of "sealer" then Tru Oil.  No one really addressed that part further so I was wondering if it was just something that most didn't mention figuring everyone knew the sealer is the first step.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:39 am »
Shellac is compatible with tru oil. I dont normally tru oil mine until I put the handle wrap on but thats just me. I also get good results after about 4-6 coats.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God