Author Topic: Harvesting Delicious Tubers NOW!  (Read 1569 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Harvesting Delicious Tubers NOW!
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:26:49 am »
So down here in my neck of the woods one of my favorite wild foods is about ready to harvest.  Betony is a small root that looks like a grub and I will devour them!  They're super delicious so I made a quick video about them just showing how to ID and harvest them.

CLICK IMAGE TO VIEW :D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Harvesting Delicious Tubers NOW!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:43:58 pm »
I have looked a little, and I'm not seeing foragers posting about betony. Is
It a relatively unknown food, or do others fear it?

WA

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:04:00 am »
Tim, is this from the genus Stachys? We have the species in my area, but I don't remember ever eating any of this.  Curtis

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:05:23 pm »
It doesn't have a huge range but I have no idea why people aren't eating it.  It is of the genus Stachys
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:10:58 am »
Thanks for the Id. I may have some of this on my place. I'm going to have to take a look. Do you eat them raw?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »
Thanks for the Id. I may have some of this on my place. I'm going to have to take a look. Do you eat them raw?
Oh absolutely!  They're real good fresh.  I just brush off the dirt and eat them while I'm digging for more.  A little dirt never hurt nobody right?