Author Topic: Opinion - Animal pain  (Read 15114 times)

Offline Parnell

Opinion - Animal pain
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:37:41 pm »
I'm curious about how viewpoints regarding the topic of animals and their ability to feel pain.  I know most folks do their best to make ethical decisions in general when it comes to hunting, but we do miss shots and we do at times make mistakes and have poor judgment.  I'm curious about opinions on whether you think animals feel pain and suffer the same as people or differently. 

Please, no arguing. 
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Opinion - Animal pain
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:53:21 pm »
It kills me Par Par. Every critter I kill I feel a lot of remorse for and it moves me. The older I get the more I feel it. Farm animals are different, I can do whatever is needed with them. I cant explain why it varies. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
Yes. How they inturpret that pain (understanding the whys and hows) may be a different issue. Without pain no species would not know how and why to avoid potential species ending scenerios.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »
Yeah they feel pain and if i don't have a quick kill it really bothers me , but they taste so damn good >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 03:13:04 pm »
yes they do. I have seen bears cry in pain after being hit by cars. I watch my old dog as she gets up every morning... won't be too long before i gotta put her down. legs are starting to give out when she walks..... Quicker is better, sometimes it just don't work that way.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35:56 pm »
Of course they feel the pain but they have not yet learned to get sympathy because other animals really don't care.
I have shot many deer eating clover, the others disappear for a bit then come back and munch the clover over the dead
buck. I have been filleting the fish while alive and will most likely burn in hell.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 07:12:08 pm »
Of course they feel the pain but they have not yet learned to get sympathy because other animals really don't care.
I have shot many deer eating clover, the others disappear for a bit then come back and munch the clover over the dead
buck. I have been filleting the fish while alive and will most likely burn in hell.
Zuma

You will have plenty of company then..... :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 07:31:49 pm »
I would not touch this one with a flight bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:58:33 pm »
As the only one in the equation with the concepts of mercy and compassion in the game of hunter and hunted, it is our responsibility to do what we can about it, to the best of our ability, and to answer for it when we screw up.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:40:11 pm »
As the only one in the equation with the concepts of mercy and compassion in the game of hunter and hunted, it is our responsibility to do what we can about it, to the best of our ability, and to answer for it when we screw up.

Well stated, JW. 
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 10:12:19 pm »
I've watched a lot of turkeys deal with it. I don't know how many gobblers I've seen deal with the heart felt grief watching their buddy die, and then celebrate his sad departure into the afterlife, (my freezer) by taking turns having sex with it. Now, that's remorse and feelings!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:35:09 am »
Lemme get this straight mullet.. you let your turkeys have sex with a frozen turkey? Well thats one interesting way to marinate or baste your turkey.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:11 am »
Good question.  Animals certainly have to deal with pain in a different way than we do.  If they spend too much time fussing and sitting down when they are in pain (like we do) they get eaten pretty quick.  I think nature has put a high tolerance for pain into most animals, for their own good.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 05:38:08 am »
Of course they do, that is why stray dogs yelp when I shoot them. ;) :) :) OK lets be serious they feel pain but as JW said it's our responsibility to do the best we can and hopefully most of us feel remorse when we fail to do that. Their understanding of pain is certainly different from ours and I think that is where folks get into trouble[animal rights folks] thinking that they think and feel as we do. :) They were put here for us to enjoy and use as needed. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 09:25:45 am »
Sure they feel pain but the have a high resiliency towards it. I think they have the ability to turn it off actually. More like, "Ok, that hurt.  Better get out of here and turn off the pain so I can function. " based on no evidence just observing and wishing I could do that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others