Author Topic: canting  (Read 7908 times)

Offline jayman448

canting
« on: April 01, 2015, 12:32:07 pm »
Im finding that with my glass rcurves, canting my bow makes my shooting very inconsistant and i shoot a foot right at thirty yards. Any ideas why?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: canting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:46 pm »
Your glass bow will shoot differently than a selfbow but I've never noticed that much variance in my glass bows compared to my selfbows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:48 pm »
Canting a bow changes the arrows spine. Generally speaking the more you cant a bow the stiffer the arrow can be and still leave clean. Try it, you'll see.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 05:39:18 pm »
i just do not understand how i can be so inconsistent just by canting my bow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:44:58 pm »
Are you sure its not improperly spined arrows for that bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:19:22 pm »
Chris- can you explain how canting the bow changes spine? I have never heard that before.
Jayman, perhaps when you cant the bow, the wide shelf somehow contacts the arrow as it passes, throwing it off? You could put some crayon or lipstick on the shelf or arrow and look for evidence that it's hitting. Also, notice your string havd and confirm that you are not twisting the string due to the cant. For me, canting doesn't have a noticeable effect. Does your bow have an elevated rest, or are you shooting off the shelf?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 01:55:30 am »
You might be torqueing the string when you release. The back of your string hand needs to be at the same angle as the bow string.
   PD, I'm also curious about how canting can change arrow spine. A stiff arrows will hit left and if you cant the bow enough it will move point of impact to the right but hit high

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:40 am »
Canting will make for a right handed shooter hit right unless the arrow rest/arrow is sitting right on top of the hand then it should make little difference. If the arrow sits high like most glass bow it will hit to the right. Not sure how it  can change  the spine of the arrow by canting  ??? ??? unless it shortens or lengthens you draw length but if Chris says it does maybe it does :-\ all I know is it will move the arrow right unless the arrow is setting right on the hand.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:31 am »
It may change the effective spine if not the actual spine.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08:46 am »
Sure don't want to argue ,but just can't figure how,  ??? if that were the case you would have to hold a bow at the same cant each time or change arrows, I know it is important to hold the same cant if shooting sights or it the arrow in on an elevated rest or shelf but if you shoot off the hand or arrow shelf is right on the hand it has never made any difference with my arrow flight or where it hits. Not the greatest shot in the world and sure don't know it all ,just would like for someone to explain how cant matters in arrow spline/I know how it will effect where it hits especially on a non center shot bow . :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:08 am »
I cant explain it, only show you it does happen. Art explained it a few years back. I believe it has something to do with how the arrow contacts the bow. Pat you are correct, effective spine, not actual spine. It changes how the bow uses a given spine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 05:37:55 pm »
OK  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 02:08:39 am »
it very well could be torque. ive been fighting with that a lot. i used to torque so bad that i would get blisters and calluses and string burn right through a thick leather shooting glove. but ive almost got that under control. i just shoot off the shelf. here is a question for you now. (diverting here) can torquing the string have an effect on your plastic knocks? i just notice im breaking a lot lately. i break them only on misses an d wonder if its a freak impact thing or if i miss because of a torque bad enough to shatter a plastic knock

Offline aaron

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 12:40:46 pm »
Not sure about the nock breaking, but here's a thought on form. Imagine yourself standing upright with an almost vertical bow.
Canting the bow can be achieved in two ways, by rotating the bow wrist, or by simply bending at the waist. If you rotate the wrist, you must also rotate the string hand to avoid torqueing the string. However, if you bend at the waist (and knees) to achieve cant, you might have an easier time avoiding torque.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 11:26:45 pm »
Probably the biggest reason is most glass recurves and darn near Center Shot. When you cant your bow to the right, it makes your arrow go more to the right. Canting your bow right or left will make it go in the direction more then straight up and down.

You will see the difference shooting a thumb ring and arrow off of the hand. Shooting right handed I have to cant a little to the left to keep the arrow from missing the target a foot to the right within 15 yards.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?