Author Topic: Stave ID  (Read 9920 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Stave ID
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 06:42:07 am »
 ??? I never found Hickory nuts and Walnuts at all the same :) On the walnut around here the heat wood is much darker. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 06:58:47 am »
One thing I do know is it aint walnut or sassafras to those who guessed so. And for those who say it ain't hickory because of the sap/heartwood ratio I have seen hickory with that thick of heartwood. Seems a lil light colored for red elm heartwood(but cant rule it out cus of that)? My guess is either an ash or hickory. Either way if your new to this make it 2" wide till mid limb then taper to half inch tips for starting bow dimensions. Then monitor his much set and how thin its getting. If its getting really thin and not taking any set you can narrow it. Also it looks like bow wood to me. Nice,clean,even straight.

Oh...forgot...do u know what hickory smells like? It has a distinctive enough odor to give it away.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:03:46 am by blackhawk »

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2015, 07:04:29 am »
??? I never found Hickory nuts and Walnuts at all the same :) On the walnut around here the heat wood is much darker. :)
   Pappy

Maybe you are right Pappy, but there are several kinds of hickory nuts and some look like bw when they are green with the hull on, even more for unexperienced eyes. About the color maybe the picture is fooling us, the surface of the wood is not smooth and the flash of the cammera can enlighten the wood color.  Maybe a picture of the wood after smoothing it can help us.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:24 am »
Yep it is really all a guess when you can't see leaves/ branches or up close where you can feel and smell it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline clewis

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 11:12:41 am »
Hey thanks for all the responses, Ill post better pictures this afternoon in better light. I'm sure what ever t is it will make a bow regardless.

clewis

Offline okie64

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:46 pm »
Looks like butternut to me. Just kidding, I just wanted to throw another possible out there ;D Ive never cut any hickory with that much heartwood but it may be a different kind than we have around here. A clear pic of the end grain would make id much easier.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 07:51:32 am »
I haven't access to hick (so no experience with hick bark), but it looks like red elm to me.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PatM

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:42 am »
Bitternut Hickory frequently has that much heartwood when growing in swampy conditions.
 Where are you located?

Offline clewis

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2015, 10:50:32 am »
I had cut it north of Kingston on a friends lot, he wasn't sure what it was either. I think its hickory, it doesn't look the elm in his area, definitely not white ash or oak either. I didn't get a chance yesterday to take better pics but I will make time tonight.

Clewis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 11:01:39 am »
Elm has thin twigs at the end of the branches. Hickory has thick twigs with large, oval shaped buds.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline clewis

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2015, 11:13:19 am »
I have Red Elm in my shed, definitely not elm. In all likelihood its probably hickory. Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone.
clewis

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:59 am »
Kingston could be in Jamaica or Canada amongst other places.  ;)

Offline clewis

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 01:48:24 pm »
  8)

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »
Well where?

Offline clewis

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 03:41:07 pm »
My apologies, I`m from Ontario, Canada.