Author Topic: Arrows falling out of target  (Read 5389 times)

Offline DC

Arrows falling out of target
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:01:22 pm »
When I go to our range about 10-15% of my arrows don't stick into the bag targets. It's annoying when your best shot of the night bounces out on to the floor. I don't have this problem with the bag I have at home. Our club is predominately compound bows. Is it possible that they order harder bags to take the gaff of the compounds? I'm using a 38# bow and have duplex nail tips on my arrows. I thought it was the nail tips and so I modified them on my lathe to make a smoother entry. This helped but not all that much. Any ideas other than manning up to a 50# bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrows falling out of target
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:51:10 am »
It might be the target for those spaghetti thin carbon arrows are too tightly woven to stop big wood arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:21 am »
I suspect it is your tips, try a regular field point and I don't think you will have a problem.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 11:35:48 am »
I only get annoyed by that because Im such a freak about arrow flight that I want to see how my arrow entered each and every shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:59 am »
pic of you arrow points? could be transition from point to shaft if its not smooth there is your problem...gut

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:23:12 pm »
I tried to take a picture but it kept blurring. Tried macro, zoom, nothing seemed to work. I'll set it up with a tripod and see.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:08 pm »
I tried cleaning the lens :-[ :-[. The one on the right is the one that falls out. I haven't tried the one on the left, the range was closed for Easter.

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 10:56:47 am »
my thoughts right off bat are not enough weight on front.... transition is smooth thats not the problem...gut

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:54:17 pm »
They are made from duplex nails so they go into the bamboo arrow. The points weigh 125 gr.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 09:13:20 pm »
DC,
I use duplex nails too and really like the way they work. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:45 am »
Ihave used duplex nails too, and I can't figure how you ground them to that shape.

gutpile

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 11:09:08 am »
I foreshaft my cane..cane is extremely light to start with has a great arrow properties but it has no weight...I usually have a 4 inch foreshaft of hardwood sticking out of my cane and the foreshaft buts up against the last node which could be another 3 inches from end of shaft, with a 90 to 100 grain point...the foreshaft improves penetration by adding weight to the shaft plus giving it a better FOC.. cane is extremely spine tolerable but it does need to be in range of your bow regardless. Ferret and I used to have debates on foreshafting cane as he was a plugger... drilling out the cane and plugging it with a hardwood dowel before adding a point... by plugging the cane he was in fact adding weight to it plus a 125 grain point ..this helps but being native american I tend to go by what worked in the past for my ancestors.. foreshafting is an added duty but for what it takes to make a cane shaft as compared to a red osier or POC shaft its nothing... I suggest you try it , but make sure your cane is in the spine range you need..an arrow that hits at a bad angle which you may not be able to see can be a problem... on the other hand... some bag targets just need some serious kinetic energy to stick in too... gut

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 11:13:50 am »
also I would start with a cane shaft that is 15 lbs over your bow weight.. reason .. after foreshafting and adding your point you have lengthen the shaft and brought the spine down form the bare cane shaft..that should be in the range you need.. I cut my cane to 25 inches and spine..my draw is 26.5. so after foreshafting my cane usually ends up around 29 inches.... gut

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 05:26:04 pm »
Ihave used duplex nails too, and I can't figure how you ground them to that shape.

I drilled a hole just under the size of the nail into a piece of 3/8" round aluminum and drove the nail into it. Chucked it up in the lathe and turned it into a point. On the short one I cut the first nailhead off and drove it into the aluminum so the aluminum is on the pointy end. On the long one I drove the sharp end of the nail into the aluminum so the aluminum is against the arrow shaft. You can see the different color of the aluminum i the pictures. You could do the same thing with a file and a drill press but a lathe makes a nicer job, easier too ;D

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 12:41:28 am »
Engineering arrow tips on the lathe before you know it you will be building Lam bows....... >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell