Author Topic: File Sharpening at Boggs Tools  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

File Sharpening at Boggs Tools
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:16:44 pm »
I sent my good rasps to Boggs Tools to be resharpened, Boggs came highly recommended by the gun building clan.

These were my Nicholson #49 and 50 pattern makers rasps, high dollar stuff. I didn’t know how dull my #49 was until I picked up a good deal on a new #50 off ebay and it out-cut my coarser #49 by a long shot. I guess making 145 bows with a file will dull it somewhat but I didn’t realize how much.

I got the sharpened files back today, man what a difference, better than new.

They gave me one free sharpening as a new customer so it cost me $8 to get the files sharpened. Shipping was $11, which was a little steep but much better than paying $50 for a new file. The new ones are made in Brazil now and are not near the quality of my old American made ones.

I wish I had sent them a few more of my dull metal working files, they do good work.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: File Sharpening at Boggs Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 10:02:57 pm »
Eric will they mess with the Brazilian made rasps all the same? Farriers rasp as well? I have at least four Id send off in a hurry. Like you, I found out rasps are like eyes. They just gradually go bad until one day you cant see and need glasses. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:19:04 am »
Pearly, sent you a PM.

Offline Roy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 07:23:25 am »
Thanks, Eric. Their prices seem very good.

http://boggstool.com/page74.html

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:37:42 am »
I have heard that some folk send them a new Brazilian #49 or 50  because once sharpened it will be the same as a new American made one.

Boggs will sharpen your files and send you an invoice for payment when they ship your files back to you, trusting folk. If you send them one that is too far gone to sharpen they won't return it to you and tell you why.