Author Topic: redoak/hickory bendy handle tiller check please *(UPDATE)  (Read 12268 times)

Offline PatM

Re: redoak/hickory bendy handle tiller check please
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:24 pm »
 I hate to say it but you need to study a few pictures of Kim Kardashian and learn what a curve looks like.  ;D

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 12:45:47 pm »
Come to think of it, I may need to study up too Pat. Great advice.  ;D

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 02:46:22 am »
I hate to say it but you need to study a few pictures of Kim Kardashian and learn what a curve looks like.  ;D
lol. . My little Cuban princess has curves that make KK look flat. ..
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 04:17:36 am »
Now this thread is going in the right.......wrong............different direction? ;)

Offline paco664

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »
ok... after spending an entire day and half a night at parnells house yesterday i learned an incredible amount of info.

first and foremost is that Parnell is a great guy and a gracious host who is extremely helpful and patient and generous with time and knowledge i am pleased and blessed to count him as a friend. i also got to speak with Mullet on the telephone and cannot wait to meet him in person as i know those 2 are the same type of kind people

and my problem...  i have been overbuilding everything and making things bend wayyyyyyy before they are ready to... it struck my when i looked at his great collection of bows he has made that they are TINY.. thin... almost frail looking little sticks... 

i've been forcing 1/2" thick by 1.5" wide pieces of wood to bend against their will and wondering what i did wrong when they exploded...
well... fortunately i am a quick learner :D
i also found out that my draw length is not 29" as first thought but instead i pull a tad over 32" *(i am tall with long arms and built like a gorilla *(according to Parnell)..
today i thinned this bow out by an incredible amount *(to me) and thanks to parnell's teachings how to make it bend like i want it to...
so i have spent a buttload of time today gently bending this stick and using the gizmo and i "think" i am on the right track... the gizmo shows me i have the entire limb working except for the last 4" or so of the tips which i do want slightly stiff.

*(i know i will be rapidly corrected if i am wrong)

i also at PatM's request googled kim kardashian... it led to a video of her doing a few things i hope i don't have to do to become a bowyer....

Offline Parnell

Re: redoak/hickory bendy handle tiller check please *(UPDATE)
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 07:18:27 pm »
Looks like you've got that bending much better, now.  Your close now.  It was a good day, to be continued, buddy!  I'll post a couple photos I took yesterday, later.
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 09:18:35 am »
I think you are still a little stiff in those outer limbs, though.  Slow and steady, exercise those limbs...you'll get it.

Here are a few of the pictures of your progress on Saturday.
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
Nice Paco looking much better. Steve is a helpful guy glad you guys got it figured out.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2015, 01:06:56 pm »
still needs to bend more on the outer limbs,, :)

Offline paco664

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2015, 03:57:49 pm »
still needs to bend more on the outer limbs,, :)
thanks. .. it is bending much better now... i have been gozmoing it to death. ..

I'll post photos later

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 04:08:43 pm »
Ain't it great having an experienced hand give ya a helping hand?   ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline paco664

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 04:31:08 pm »
Ain't it great having an experienced hand give ya a helping hand?   ;)
yes. . A 1000 times yes. ..

And seeing the views he has made made me realize how much i was overbuilding things...

If you look at the first photos i put on this thread and see it as it is now *(photos later tonight. .I'm at work) you'll see i have thinned the limbs *(especially the now bending outer limbs) by half. ..

It bends so pretty now even my wife commented about how much smother and natural the bends look now. ..

Offline paco664

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2015, 12:20:20 am »
Ok tillered and is pulling 49.8lbs@27...

I need 29.5-30" ...

My question being. .. i wanted 50-55#@29.5-30 *(i know i won't get my full 32"out of it) do i continue to lightly scrape equal amounts from each limb or exercise it out to my 29.5-30" and the weight is what it is...

Here i am pulling ~28"...  to my noob eyes the tiller looks even. . *note. . I am not holding the bow in the center which makes it look longer on top limb. .. I had to rush because the little Cuban princess wasn't happy about photo duties..

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:04:24 am by paco664 »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:57 am »
Looking pretty good - hey...much better.  Here is a picture of what I'm seeing.  You seem a bit flat still in your top limb - see where to scrape from the yellow.  Don't remove any more where you see the heavy bending, of course.  Consider maybe reducing width of your outer limbs as you tiller from here to bring it to arc.  By concentrating on width you reduce more mass from the limb and thereby improve the bows cast.  It will also reduce hand shock when you go to shoot the bow.  Almost there...got my fingers crossed for you.

P.s. Remember wood is about 8 times stronger in thickness than width in the bending process.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:44:00 am by Parnell »
1’—>1’

Offline paco664

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »
Ok! .. thanks Steve