Author Topic: I was thinkin Holmegaard  (Read 4230 times)

PK

I was thinkin Holmegaard
« on: January 30, 2008, 04:40:11 am »
YES Or NO? Havent read any thing that says Holmegaards could not have a uneven Back, I'm not Touchin the back I like it the way it grew but, I would greatly like your opinion, It would be 1/3/4 width at 15 from the tip to 4/1/2 from center,Thanks,PK

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:53:37 am by PK »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: I was thinkin Holmegaard
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:37:09 am »
Don't see why not.Is that Hickory ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:17:56 am »
Nobody said it has to be a Board or a Decrowned Stave....should be fine....got me to thinking!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:26:01 am »
pappy thats hard maple, Yooper wood, might be better off at 2" wide on the working limbs?
What draw length and weight you going for PK? Ask adb he's doin the holmie build along.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:47:59 am »
It will work just fine, I have a couple with some character.  You have reduced the working limb length and need to make sure you don't overstress the limbs. Lots of exercise while you are tillering.  What is the total length of the working portion of the limbs? Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 01:32:32 pm »
Hi, PK
What kind of wood is it? A self Holmie is totally OK. With white woods, I'd go wider in the working limbs. >2" would be better. Make SURE you've got a single growth ring on the back. I think 1 3/4" working limb width is asking a lot of a whitewood self Holmie. What weight are you shooting for? Less than 40# should be OK, but anything above is asking for failure.
It looks to me like you've done two seperate tapers in the working limb? Why? Make your working limb parallel or just slightly tapering its full length, without an abrupt step. Check out my build along... last night, I drew out the profile for a 66" hickory backed osage. Keep in mind that the working limbs on that bow are only 1.5" wide, but it's backed, and osage belly. Self whitewoods need to be wide. Good luck! Is this your first Holmegaard?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »
Hard maple PK
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

PK

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 03:50:45 pm »
So It will be what you say all  I'm  a good student thanks for learnin.

PK

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 12:13:40 am »
It will work just fine, I have a couple with some character.  You have reduced the working limb length and need to make sure you don't overstress the limbs. Lots of exercise while you are tillering.  What is the total length of the working portion of the limbs? Justin
Sorry Justin, Its 67" total I got it at 2" wide till 15 from the tips then the taper. Here is the tools I use for bow trimming(tillering)
The Machete I used as a boy to cut firewood ( eucalyptus) about 25 years ago,something the father left me with. That eucalyptus is good for fire wood thats about it. ever heard that story about that guy selling eucalyptus seeds to westerners,said it was good for furniture, maybe rustic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:59:10 am by PK »