Author Topic: Visitor  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Chief RID

Re: Visitor
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 05:28:49 am »
Now I could get into a reality show about the folks looking for the Ivory Bill. I could get into that a lot more than looking for Bigfoot. It would be great to have a thriving population in Congeree Swamp near Columbia SC.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 06:44:12 am »
Cool picture and awesome bird. We have a lot in my area and enjoy seeing or hearing them throughout the year. I learned in an ornithology class that woody woodpecker was taken from the ivory billed which is similar.? With technology being so mobile and small, I'm waiting to,see some footage that shows the ivory Bill still exists. Thanks for the picture Marc !

Tracy

It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 01:56:15 pm »
Cool picture and awesome bird. We have a lot in my area and enjoy seeing or hearing them throughout the year. I learned in an ornithology class that woody woodpecker was taken from the ivory billed which is similar.? With technology being so mobile and small, I'm waiting to,see some footage that shows the ivory Bill still exists. Thanks for the picture Marc !

Tracy

My wife who took film in university was told it was the Pileated
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 09:33:39 am »
I see them frequently even this far south.
1’—>1’

Offline Patches

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 02:36:50 pm »
The Pileated is a little smaller that the Ivory -billed woodpecker.  The last documented Ivory-billed was seen in Louisiana in the 1950's. Someone thought they seen one in Arkansas about 12 years ago, and a big effort was made to find them, but all they ever found were pileated woodpeckers.   

[Now I could get into a reality show about the folks looking for the Ivory Bill. I could get into that a lot more than looking for Bigfoot. It would be great to have a thriving population in Congeree Swamp near Columbia SC.]

Chief RID, I knew several ornithologists that went down to Arkansas looking for the bird.  They would put on Ghilie suits and stand out in the swamp from dawn to dusk watching and listening for the Ivory-billed.  They said it actually got kinda boring just standing next to a tree all day in camo.  These ornithologists are apparently not bowhunters! 

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »
  I actually had the pleasure of two pair of the Pileated Woodpeckers come in on me while deer hunting here in SC this October, very very noisy with all the pecking and scuffling up and around the Pines and Oaks ...They were in trouble here after Hurricane Hugo back in 1989 after losing some habitat but have made a good comeback...My niece Emma painted her uncle Don a great picture of one which hangs in my living room...She is talented for an 11yr old!
                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;