Author Topic: white oak tiller check  (Read 5652 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
white oak tiller check
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »
Hello team I would greatly appreciate some input on the bend of this white oak board bow. It's 68" and has a dodgy Mollegabet layout. The levers are 10" with recurve overlays. I think I might have overstretched myself with the design  ::) but happily it's bending fairly well!  :)
It is a very straight grained board.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline randman

Re: white oak tiller check
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 04:11:59 pm »
Good start....fades at the grip and at the lever need to bend more....leave the very center of the bendy part alone for a bit until you get the fades bending more.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 04:17:27 pm »
Thanks man. Is it ok to get the levers bending- i thought they had to stay stiff?
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 04:23:57 pm »
I think randman means the outer limb right up to the fade that goes into the lever. 

Offline sieddy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »
I've rasped off quite a bit of wood at the tips and fades (a bit too much as it's coming in light now! ::)
Any tips on how to get the best bend out of this one whilst losing as little weight as possible would be gratefully received. It's braced at 5"  and drawn to 22" in the pics.  And the unbraced pic was immediately after it had been exercised and drawn to 25"

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 09:32:51 pm »
Have you heat treated the bow?  Toasting the belly of the working portion of the limbs can add draw weight to white oak and keep down string follow.  It would have been better to temper it just prior to the first low bracing of the bow, but I don't think it is too late to toast it now.  White oak loves a good heat treating.    Looks like it is coming along good. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sieddy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 03:36:55 am »
Thanks buddy I mean to toast it at the weekend (wish I'd done it earlier!) Do you think it needs more scraping to get it to bend some more?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 06:04:48 am »
looking pretty good to me,what is your draw length ? and what weight are you at and looing for at the 25 inch draw ? I would shoot it some at a shot draw if you need to and see how it looks drawing by hand.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sieddy

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:34:32 am »
Thanks Pappy I'm happy to go for a 26" draw as there is not too much working limb. Sadly I've only got 35# at 25" which is lighter than I'd hoped for but I'll take it as another lesson learned and give the bow away when it's finished. It looks fairly even to me at 25" so I'll probably check it at 26" and leave it. Thanks again!  :)

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:16 am »
Don't sweat it Sieddy.  I just came in under weight on my latest bow.  It's one of my favorite shooters because there is no shooting fatigue.  Tons of fun.  In the beginning don't worry too much about weight.  Just good tiller :)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:24:51 am »
Matt is right. Also if u toast it u may gain 10lbs.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline sieddy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »
Thanks Matt/Bruce!  :)
 I must try to remember to take it easy and enjoy the Bows I'm making for what they are. Simple, fun shooting sticks  :)

Offline sieddy

Re: white oak tiller check? (update!)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 12:14:03 pm »
Hiya I piked the bow, steamed some recurve on the tips and toasted the belly. It's now pulling 38# @ 26" and shoots really nicely. I am very happy with it but I think it still needs some scraping off the lower limb so any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 05:11:33 pm by sieddy »

Offline sieddy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 12:15:38 pm »
The last unbraced pic is just after shooting.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »
If it's shooting good and hits where you are looking, call it good.  You can reach a point where if you keep scraping on it, you just end up with a pile of shavings, and a memory of a nice shooting bow that got whittled away! ;D  Since perfection  is unattainable, and there are going to be so many bows in your future, I say finish it off and start another one.  Looks like a good bow to me.  Enjoy it.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi