Author Topic: Heat treating Yew  (Read 2001 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Heat treating Yew
« on: March 25, 2015, 12:56:55 pm »
I am going to re-curve the tips of a yew flatbow.
How long should I leave the wood in the clamped position?

Thanks

Offline Weylin

Re: Heat treating Yew
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 01:41:51 pm »
Until it's cool to the touch. more than that is unnecessary, in my opinion. Honestly you could probably take it out while it's still warm (not hot) and it wouldn't matter but you may as well be patient and wait til it's cool.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:54:05 pm »
I like to be sure the wood is completely cooled, inside and out. I usually leave heat treated and heat manipulated wood clamped over night. I'd rather be patient and not risk having the curve pull out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
I like to steam or boil my curves in yew. I'll heat gun it right after and leave it till it's cool to the touch. Overnight is probably better though

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:44:50 pm »
      Yew is about the only wood I never heat treat. I use steam for the curves and like to leave them overnight. Anything I do with try heat I take out of the clamps when still slightly warm if I feel like it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 09:30:52 am »
Like others, I steam or boil the tips, then clamp. Leave clamped for a bit, then dry heat temper the belly side of the bend pretty good with a heat gun.  This helps keep the curve from pulling out in yew.

All of this goes much better if you have your limb tips down to a reasonable amount before attempting the bend. Trying to bend too much wood is where I got into trouble early on, and I see a lot of others make that same mistake.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso