Author Topic: First Time Bows, What a Change!  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

First Time Bows, What a Change!
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:31:21 am »
I have noticed over the past few couple of years that guys first time bows are really good, maybe a little tillering glitch but great workmanship.

I remember the newbie bows posted 5 years ago as being pretty rough affairs, cockeyed tillering, poorly shaped limbs and handles that looked like they didn't fit the bow.

I wonder what has changed, is it better information available, better mentoring from a broader base of experienced bow makers, or what?

What ever it is; I l like it and love to see what the new guys are turning out.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: First Time Bows, What a Change!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:39:32 am »
I agree, Eric. Some of these first time bows are just incredible.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:08:25 am »
I agree, Eric. Newcomers are making excellent bows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:30:37 am »
I think it has to do with the quality of bowyers here to help people along the way
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:58:31 am »
Its probably due to the almost overwhelming stock of info we have now. But it may be too that a lot of these new first time bowyers appear to be older and maybe retired, baby boomers that maybe had jobs that required craftmanship and skill but they just didn't have time to build one. Now that they are retired it fee's up time to do it and they bring their honed skills to the front.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
I look back at the first bow I built a couple of years ago, and although it turned out to be a shooter, it sure looks clunky.  I was fortunate to have two very experienced bowyers at the club to tutor me in addition to doing a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos.  My years of woodworking most definitely helped too.

Many of these resources would not likely have been available 10 years ago, so I feel very fortunate to have gotten off to a good start.   And thank many of you here for continuing my education.  This is also an extremely valuable resource for learning and making new friends.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 11:39:05 am »
Tons of how-to videos on youtube helped a lot for me. My first successful bow was a sinew backed osage with carp. Not the best looking bow, but it wasn't half bad either. Definite thanks to all the info on here and other places online. I always use this as an argument for people who bash the internet.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:58:05 am »
It's more information, better information, and lot's of support.  There was already some good information out there when I started, but I did not know this until several years later.  Internet has changed everything.  It's no longer tribal knowledge, it's just all out there.  Speaking of which, considering that bows were highly used in previous centuries and then almost forgotten, do you guys think this will fizzle out and that this knowledge will be almost lost again, or is it here to stay?  At any rate, new guys have good info. but are also just very talented.  Mission accomplished I guess.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:04:34 pm »
I think the interest is here to stay,,, :)

Offline arachnid

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 02:31:58 pm »
As one of the "younger" bowyers here I'd say it's due to the vast amount of info online. I know I've learned a lot online before even reading TBB.
I live in Israel, where the bow making hobby is not common at all (some people still think I'm a weirdo...), and I can still ask and consulate a lot of experience bowyers from all over the world. I can tiller a bow, take pictures and get fresh opinions on it LIVE. It's like taking a bow making class with dozens of great teachers.

It's a good opportunity to say a big "thank you" to the great PA comunity.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 03:03:47 pm »
There so much for inspiration as well. Just go through all the bows posted and you'll find stuff that makes you wanna do thaton your next bow.  Handle styles, nocks styles, different grip materials, etc.

Offline Ardent

• Imgur albums of my work
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »
I just started on my second bow, and you guys are right - it is the vast wealth of info available. Almost any question I have had has been asked before (several times, usually) and thoroughly answered. And that's just the info from this forum. There are at least a couple more out there that are also fantastic (you know which ones I'm talking about). The buildalongs here and elsewhere, like Sam Harper's Poor Folk Bows, offer huge insight and help remove the apprehension of starting up on this awesome hobby way of life.

I think the best thing a beginner can do, other than buying the Bowyer's Bibles, is to open up the "Bows" subforum here at PA and just start plowing through every thread that looks interesting to you. I'm going to go through all ~1000 pages. I don't read every thread, just the ones that are interesting to me now. Once my skill level increases, I will no doubt go through them all again. I bookmark stuff, take notes annotated with hyperlinks and who said what, and I save interesting images. Basically, I am flooded with information. It's like sticking my head under a waterfall of knowledge.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 06:43:51 pm »
My 2 cents are the vast amount of information available online. Tools are easier to obtain. This page has kept my interest with the great sense of community and awesome work.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Roy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 07:40:05 pm »
I agree, Eric. I'm thinking it's the info they get on forums like this, you tube, etc... But they are amazing compared to my first bow..

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 04:16:12 am »
Is it better in the long run for someone to make a great bow first time....or to take ten to learn how to?