Author Topic: Native American inspired Black Locust "D" bow (62" - 60" n-t-n - 40# @ 27")  (Read 4597 times)

Offline CrazyHorse1969

A back-from-the-dead Native American inspired Black Locust "D" bow (62" - 60" n-t-n - 40# @ 27").

Pearl Drums sort of nudged me to back with rawhide what I thought was an otherwise dead bow. In fact, he said if the bow blew up before 2,000 shots he would give me a new stave. A win-win nudge indeed.

I followed his backing suggestions and took at least 200 shots before finally finishing the bow. I used leather dye on both the rawhide and belly of the bow and padded the handle with red wool to eliminate just a touch of hand shock. In other words, the red wool is not simply ornamental. The bow shoots super straight, fast, and snappy. I now more fully appreciate why the Eastern Cherokee in particular fancied Black Locust for making bows.

I shot the finished bow probably another 50-60 times (I am keeping track) today. I am amazed at how accurate the bow is, considering 1) the fact that I all but left it for dead and 2) it is only my forth self bow (and only the second one that I have had to chase a ring). By the way, feel free to offer constructive criticism, especially the eagle-eyed tiller gurus out there. I am just hoping to build bows that are incrementally better than the ones that came before them.

In short, I learned a heck of a lot more about building self bows during the process of building this bow. And, as long as the bow does not blow up in my face and I end up losing an eye or something, I am happy that I at least attempted to bring it back from the dead. On the other hand, if it does blow up, I am hoping that Pearl Drums has a clean stave (preferably Osage ;)) on hand for a one-eyed shooter. Thanks in advance, Pearly!
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Drewster

CrazyHorse, that finish looks great.....really fine job on that.  Yeah, those wide tips can have some hand shock.  Keep them as thin as possible next time. 

I zoomed on your FD pic to see it a bit better.......looking pretty good to me  Looks like you did a fine salvage job on this bow.  Congrats and keep shooting it.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Thanks. The stave was super bendy and twisty, and I had a heck of a time getting it somewhat straight. I also used a tillering gizmo this time, so my tillering job is a bit better than my last build. But, like I said, this bow shoots great, regardless of what it looks like. In fact, I think I am going to hunt Spring turkey with it. Then I will hopefully build an even better bow.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:47:50 pm by CrazyHorse1969 »
"For if he like a madman lived, at least he like a wise one died." ~ Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Offline bubby

Nice save thats a good looking bend, shoot the crap out of it now😀
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ajooter

Love it man nice save!! I NEED to know what dye you used on that hide.  That look frigging sweet!!!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Thanks! I am new to all of this and trying my best. The leather dye is Fiebing's Leather Dye (from Tandy Leather) in Med. Brown. I diluted it with a touch of denatured alcohol then applied it with a wool dauber. It soaks in real well. If you do not like the color--that is, if it is too dark for your liking, just take a cloth with a little more denatured alcohol and wipe the bow until you get the color you like. I let it dry overnight then took 600-grit sandpaper to the belly before I finished the bow because the dye sort of causes the grain to rise. I tried not to mess with the back of the bow too much because I did not want to muck up the rawhide.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Love it man nice save!! I NEED to know what dye you used on that hide.  That look frigging sweet!!!

This may be an even better picture. Thanks for looking.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Excellent rawhide job Scott! That bow will last a long time to come. If not, I do have an osage stave with your name on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Beautiful bow! Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Excellent rawhide job Scott! That bow will last a long time to come. If not, I do have an osage stave with your name on it.

I am glad you challenged me to back this bow with rawhide. I learned some new techniques, and the bow, for me, really shoots well.

Offline CrazyHorse1969

Beautiful bow! Congratulations! Jawge

Thanks. Perhaps you do not recall, but you also offered me some great advice several weeks back.