Author Topic: Please critique this tiller (pics)  (Read 7465 times)

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Please critique this tiller (pics)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 11:25:25 am »
Sure, set happens in areas that are getting more than their share of stress.  And its understandable that you'd baby the inner limbs if your last bow was bending too much there.  You won't have to get them bending much to give the bow an overall rounder more balanced shape.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 11:33:16 am »
Take yer time and make sure its exercised with every wood removal.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:35:30 am »
I've been pulling the bow about 30 times between wood removal. Any general rule of thumb for exercising the limbs "x" amount of times?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 11:37:08 am »
That sounds good, just make sure yer not pulling it pass your target weight
or any farther than its already tillered to.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 11:43:39 am »
Sus, I can't tell where the end of the fades is from the pic but you can mark it on the side facing you with a heavy pencil. It's also a good idea to check tiller from both sides. It takes me anywhere from 5-15 hours to bring a stave to full draw. I'll spend 2-3 hours of that time getting the wood to start to move where I want it to (end of the fades). I agree with your assessment regarding the tips. You did get a bit aggressive there.  But beginner bows tend to be unintentionally whip tillered anyway. Sus, it's ok. This is how you learn. Mistakes are wonderful teachers. Wish I had this site when I started. Its no fun having your bow picked apart but you have a great attitude which will likely take you far in bow making. Way to go! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 12:05:01 pm »
Thanks Jawge,

I posted the bow for honest feedback and I don't mind criticism. I've built about 5 bows over the last 3 years, but time constraints and a busy schedule have kept me from building more. I learn something new on every bow and I think I'm improving. Most of my knowledge I can attribute to reading posts on this site. I appreciate the feedback from everyone!

Jason