Author Topic: apple shoots  (Read 2325 times)

Offline jeffp51

apple shoots
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:56:45 pm »
I pruned my apple tree yesterday. I cut about 50 that were arrow-shaped.  Anyone have any experience?  They look like the shoots are very straight on average--but with little squiggles every inch or so where the buds were.  I am wondering what effect that will have.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: apple shoots
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »
Although I haven't made arrows from apple shoots they should work just fine. You might be able to smooth out the little humps with a rasp.  Let us know how they work out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
  I've made 5 once and another time I built. Those wiggles suck.

I just get them about 5/8's,3/4's. And rasp them straight instead fo trying to heayt and bend.

I went that route it's a nightmare.

I let season 6 and 10 years. I liked them heavy, hard,strays straight. I still have 3 there 8 years old.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:48 am »
I am wondering what will happen if I leave the squiggles in and have the shaft straight "on average"  since I have over 50 of them at the moment, I may try some one way and some the other.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:06:27 am »
Since you have so many shoots experiment a bit and see what works best.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC