Author Topic: How to adjust the curves of a boo backed yew r/d after glue up.  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Guys,

I took this boo backed yew bow out of the gluing form and it popped back some.  I expect yes to take sme string follow if the last bow is any indication.  I'm wondering if that will Rob it too much and put the tips below the plane of the back?

I'm considering clamping it to a curved form and cooking it with a heat gun.  The Weldwood resin is usually heat resistant.  I just want to get another inch or two of reflex.

Is this advisable if I do it before tilleringL. Or should I let it go?   Or strap it back n the form and give it a good long cook?  I unwrapped it the day after glue cook.  As I think about it I typicallyleave them a few days. 

Anyway, is this fixable?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to adjust the curves of a boo backed yew r/d after glue up.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »

I'd leave it as it is. For me it wouldn't be worth the risk of breaking it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:47:45 pm »
 :-\. I'm thinkng that also.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:52:32 am »
I don't think that is a very good idea. You could, however, remove the backing and glue it up again with more reflex.
Gordon

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:38:02 am »
A bow with glued in reflex will often show increased reflex once you start to remove belly wood. The stress at the glue line wants to pull it into reflex, but the extra thick belly wants to be straight. Once the belly is weakened by thinning, it will let the glue line stress bend it backwards. I had the same issue with a BBI. I tried to glue in a couple inches reflex, but right out of the form it had almost none. Now that I have reduced the belly, the reflex has increased by an inch at least.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"