Author Topic: The Tipi bow- Osage orange 55" tt 44# at 27"  (Read 9616 times)

Offline Sidewinder

The Tipi bow- Osage orange 55" tt 44# at 27"
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
Heres a little bow I just finished up. It was made for my friend Chris who has been confined to a wheel chair for the past 20yrs. He is an avid outdoorsmen and sucessfully harvests a couple deer each rifle season. I had promised to make him a bow since he allowed me to harvest the telephone pole tree I posted a month or so back. Well I guess one good deed begats another because he gifted me with a 16ft diameter tipi. I posted it on the around the campfire section on another thread. I don't have any pics of Chris at full draw yet but here are some pics of the bow.

55" tipt to tip. 44# at 27". Kind of a modified pyramid and you can tell by the lack of a circular tiller. I has a slight twist out of the handle and a couple woop de doos one on each end that deflex out of them so I midley flipped the tips instead of trying to heat them out because I thought it looked cool. They are almost balanced evenly on both limbs One tip had about a 3/4"  deflexed tip about 2" from the end, so I heated that out of it so they matched better. I chose not to go with overlays this time and did what i call a modified pin nock. If a guy ran out of arrows he could still run the tips through something if he had to protect himself.  They are almost like talons. I treated it with lye to give it the aged osage look and I really like how it turned out. Nothing special leather handle and strike plate and 4 coats of tru oil.
 I really like how this bow shoots. I'm hitting everything I look at so its good enough for me. This is the shortest bow I've made to date. I've got another one in the works thats a 54". We will group tiller it at OJAM next week.

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Sidewinder

Re: The Tipi bow- Osage orange 55" tt 44# at 27"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:14:48 pm »
More pics

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

And of course the money shot

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »
Nice job Danny. Little bugger is working nice.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 04:38:10 pm »
That bow will hunt....real nice of you and I hope your friend gets in amoungst 'em cause the bow will do it's job, sounds like he will too.....That would be one of them times when your old and remembering back on some special times....good on you man
rich

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:41:26 pm »
Nice looking how there danny

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 04:47:12 pm »
Looking good man he should love that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 04:51:03 pm »
Thanks Pearly.

Yeah Rich, he's got access to 600+ acres of good whitetail habitat and I got a spot in mind for him that I think we can get him into and put him on something from a ground blind. I told him to just get used to shooting it and when he is confident he can hit the mark from 20yds  consistantly we'll do it. Might not be this year maybe next we'll see.

Thanks Ryan

Thanks Bub

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »
Now thats a sweet bow, simple selfbow my favorite of all bows. Your one hellava guy there Danny.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline adams89

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 05:26:39 pm »
Beautiful bow, my definition of a perfect hunting bow!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:33:27 pm »
Nice one Danny and good on you for getting your friend interested in primitive bows.  The bow looks lively at full draw, like it could spit a pretty fast arrow.
Have to say that I'm jealous of your outdoor work area, looks like a real peaceful place to carve bows.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 06:49:35 pm »
beautiful bow...

best of luck to your friend with his challenges...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »
Beautiful bow, I really dig the pin nocks and the color is great.  Very well executed in all aspects

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 07:27:42 pm »
Thanks Stix. In life we can either be like most people and be takers or we can choose to walk a different path as a giver. I have chosen the later.

Adams- I'm hoping the shorter length will make it more ground blind friendly than my normal 60-62" bows.

Badley Bent- Thanks. It is lively, like I said it spits a plenty quick 525gr arra right were I'm looking out to 25yds. I've started a 54" one for me that should be done and shot in by the time Ojam is over next weekend.
About my work area, I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to live where I do. Its on 8 acres inside a private nature park so its a very cool vibe for making bows.

Pacco - Thanks. He faces them well.

Thanks Aaron.

Offline GB

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 07:38:18 pm »
Great looking bow!  Love the way it bends and those nocks are very cool.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.